Advice on starting Lithium please....
Hi folks. After about three years of fighting the black dog I've now been started on lithium and will wean down the lamotrigine when it's up to level. I have always been very resistant to lithium but accept now that I ned to give it a go. Can anyone tell me when I might expect to notice any effects? I've been started on Priadel s/r 400mgs at night. I have noticed extreme thirst during the mornings and a funny smell/taste with food, also the fine tremor but again only in the mornings so far. I would really value other peoples advice/experience on this one as I feel I'm sailing unknown territory and feeling a bit freaked. Thanks.
When I started lithium, I had diarrhea but that was because I didn't drink enough water. Water is the key.  If I don't keep up with it, I get sick. I've noticed tremors in the morning, too. But there again, I drink water, have some food and usually the tremors go away. Lithium is a salt and a diuretic meaning that it makes you thirsty and makes you have to pee a lot.  The best advice: drink LOTS of water.  
Yes. Water. This is why I never went on it. I'm involved in too many sports and I'd probably sweat myself into some real problems.
Does it have to be "water"or do all fluids count? I'm much happier with flavoured drinks and cups of tea.
Does it have to be "water"or do all fluids count? I'm much happier with flavoured drinks and cups of tea. And what advice can you give about drinking alcohol?