Bipolar Disorder Community
Aggression and Bipolar

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Aggression and Bipolar

Son just turned 13. He is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I found out today that he hurt an adult at school last week and she is pressing charges. My husband and I have done everything we know to do to help him. He is on medication, see's a psychiatrist and counselor.
That is difficult but it would be worthwhile to have it noted to any authority that he is seeking further help at this time. His psychiatrist should speak with him and try to understand why it occurred and see what can be done. And perhaps cognitive behavioral therapy, anger management and a specific support group might be helpful as well.
children can be aggressive at times with no reason. At this age one tries to understand the child than to punish him or his family. Also psychologists and behavioral therapy is more adequate here.
As to BP i know a family who had a child (now he is 20) who was like your son and always unrest aggressive nagging all the time and violent and he was dx asperger (class of autism) so really at 13 and dx BP is very early
Your child is a minor, so the psychiatrist and counselors should be talking to you, and you to them.  What do they say about this incident?  Their input will probably be important if the adult your son hurt proceeds with her action.

Whatever the cause of this behavior, physical assault is not OK.
I feel for you , i suffer from BP and my son is 9 and shows very strong signs.
Speak to the doctor as some medication can be worse then the BP . When i was younger i used to get aggressive and it was usaly because i was so frustrated and could not explain how i felt or could not get someone to listen,i never wanted to be like that but i felt it was out of my control like someone had taken over my body and actions.I have also been on some meds that has made me become aggressive so speak to the care team and get his meds looked at as not all meds will work the same way for everyone.Zoloft is one medication that is known to make BP people more voilent.
And with your son still growing and his hormones changing he may need a higher/lower dose.
I can understand how upset and scared you are and it can be embarressing ,however you may find that your son is feeling the same way you are except he may feel like no one is on his side at the moment.
I wish you all the best
My son is 13 also. He was diagnosed with Bipolar since age of 8. It is important that you are honest with the school and let them know all the signs of a manic phase. My son had to be taken down by a sheriff at the beginning of this month for throwing desks and chairs and assulting teachers. Luckily the teachers didn't press charges but he was suspended for 3 days and still having meetings  with the teachers and social worker. Best wishes to you. I know it is difficult!
When it comes to males who is bipolar. They seem to be full with rage most of the time. Sometimes that rage can come from depression. I myself is bipolar so i trully understand how he feels,and I have hurt some people in my life time too. If he isn't taking meds like, mood stabilizers or anti-depressants, he should be. If that doesn't work, there's a treatment called Electroconvulsive therapy. (ECT)  It may be used to treat bipolar disorder. ECT is a psychiatric treatment that uses an electrical current to cause a brief seizure of the central nervous system while the patient is under anesthesia. Studies have repeatedly found that ECT is the most effective treatment for depression that is not relieved with medications.

i hope i was able to help you.
Thank you all for your encouragement and guidance. I apologize I haven't been on here since my first post because we have been dealing with lawyers, school and doctors.

I found out just shortly after posting in Oct that he did EVERYTHING we taught him to do during the incident with the adult at school. He still received a consequence. She provoked the incident, and by the video, caused the injury to herself. She still insisted on pressing charges. My son was put on conditional release or a type of "probation" for what she did to him.  
Needless to say, everything we taught him for the past few years have been thrown out the window when this lady re-acted the way she did. Now, he keeps getting in trouble because, "I do what I'm supposed to and I still get into trouble." His words. He does not trust us anymore, because he was punished for 2 and a half months for something that did not happen. The school sounds like they are working with him, but we get that feeling that he is the boy that is trouble now.

We finally got him off the "probation" in this month. I'm so upset for my son and understand the anger he has and frustration. I wish we can
We have been wondering about if he had Asperger's. We haven't talked to anyone about this yet. He is obsessive to the point that no one wants to have a conversation with him because it is all about what he is interested in. He hates it when people look at him, but we associated this to the fact that he feels like he's always in trouble. One of the biggest characteristics we have noticed with him is that he is so narrow minded that if we deviate from a schedule or something that he knows is supposed to happen without telling him before hand we have complete meltdown.

Should I go to his regular psychiatrist and ask him his thoughts or should I take him to a different one to get a second opinion?