Bipolar Disorder Community
Am I bipolar

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Am I bipolar

My shrink states that I am mildly bipolar but I didn't know there was such a thing as being "mildly" bipolar. My mind races most of the time which causes me not to sleep much, I have to be doing more than one thing at a time or I get bored and pissed. This is all mental as I am not a physical person, I don't have to be doing much physically just mentally. I can go from being happy as can be but one thing will set me off and I feel as though I could harm someone, I have never and don't think I would unless I had to. In school as a kid I did get into many fights and a lot of trouble but I seem to control that part of my life as an adult, the Valiums help a bunch. I was abused when I was very young with someone I knew very well, I think this is one of my anger issues and the reason why I am a 29 yr virgin. What do you guys think, am I bipolar?
Hello
I think Bipolar disorder can vary very much in its severity.  Some people I have heard described as 'soft bipolar' also you might do some 'googling' into Bipolar II to get more information.
.
Are you on other medication?  I hope so and not just Valium as this is more of a temporary fix.

Have you tried therapy for the issues of childhood sexual abouse.  It can often be free through a rape crisis centre and may help you?
I tried some of the bipolar meds and I didn't like the side affects they had on me. I take Valium and Tazadone, The only meds I take are for different medical reasons. I see a shrink I don't go to therapy or anything like that as no one really knows this about me but some of my friends. It has now been almost 23 years since it happened my family would be devastated. I can't do that to them, plus it would make me worse I believe. I seem to be doing well, I just wasn't sure on the mild bipolar thing. My friend seems to think I am fine, I have a job, a house, and everything seems to be fine. I do have problems with my anger and settling down once I get home but weed seems to help me the most. Again, I can control my anger levels now more so than ever but there are times I want to just fight someone. I just can't go without my valium, I take it everyday so I don't see it as a temp solution. Thanks for your help, now I know there is a such a thing as mildly bipolar.
Bipolar varies in its severity and its episodic in many cases - I have a career a house and a wife and I am Bipolar type 2 - I went 15 years between major episodes and was stable that time.

Every person is different.  

Weed is not a remotely good thing to be touching if you have BP or any mental illness - long term usage of marijunana leads to mental problems on its own - it will lead to more severe mental problems later on and those can include psychosis - If you are BP then treatment is simple and easy if its only mild of controlled but I question if its BP in this case as you seem to have mainly anger problems and do not talk about mania or depression  - this might be an anger related problem to do with your past abuse?

if its BP and its mild then great, stop the weed and other illegal drugs before it becomes something more severe.
I think doctors sometimes use phrases such as 'mildly bipolar' because it is easier than going into the differences between Bipolar I, Bipolar II, cyclothymia, etc. This is unfortunate, because you aren't getting good information when the proper terminology isn't used. But then, there are also people out there who DO have a mood disorder, but don't fit nicely into any of the categories and the best way of describing it is adding a word to one of the diagnosis - mildly bipolar.

I would ask your doctor to be more specific about your diagnosis.
Good point Penelope Ann - it could be cyclothymia which is the mildest form of mood disorder.

I think a therapist would be a good addition, if there is past abuse thee anger may be part of that, I used to think therapy was worthless until I found a good psychologist - without mine I dont know where I would be today.
Thanks all for the tips.
Come back and talk anytime or message someone if you need help, we're here and I can vouch first hand for how much this community can help in times of need.
Just so you know, Ive recently been diagnosed with Cyclothymia, which i was told  at the time is a "mild" form of Bipolar disorder. So perhaps that is what your doctor meant. Feel free to ask me about it if you like.