Bipolar Disorder Community
Am I really bi polar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Am I really bi polar?

I have not been to the doctor and been officially diagnosed with bi polar disorder but the last time I went they gave me a bi polar test and after my doctor read the results she set me up for counseling at a mental health clinic. Personally I have been researching it and I have a majority of the symptoms. For instance I cry alot for no reason and I start arguments with my spouse and have trouble remembering what I said or why I even started the argument knowing I can't win it. Does this sound like I may have bi polar? My doctor only diagnosed me with depression but I've heard that depression can lead to bi polar...Is that true?
Those descriptions (minus crying for no reason) are something that can be personality or symptoms of a mental illness.  I'd consider them symptoms of a mental illness within the context of more specific symptoms.  None of that says specifically bipolar disorder to me.  Maybe some depression, but unless there are some things you're experiencing that you're not listing there, I don't see anything specific to bipolar disorder.
I experience other things too. I have panic attacks and get paranoid when I'm in public places with alot of people. I took my children to Mc Donald's one day and even though there were not alot of people in there when I went to order our food I got dizzy and felt like everyone was staring at me. I broke out into a sweat and had to sit down to calm myself. It happens when I go to the grocery store too. I get rages of anger out of nowhere and I can tell that I have changed mentally and physically over the years mainly in the last two. I have been avoiding going to the doctor because I'm afraid that they are going to put me on some stronger medication this time.
I don't blame you for not wanting to take the medications. In your second comment what you described sounds like an anxiety attack to me, and if you only experience this when around people specifically, I would say that is more of a social anxiety. They should give you an evaluation at the mental health provider you are going to go to. After they do that they would be able to diagnose you properly.
This does not sound like bipolar to me but there is something that needs to be treated. Dont be afraid to go to the doctor and dont be afraid to tell tjem you do not want anything strong. There are some medications that you can even just take when you start to feel these emotions. Bipolar has extreme highs and extreme lows. I have bipolar and its much much worse. But seriously do not be afraid of the doctor. Also don't be afraid to try different doctors until you find one your comfortable with. Like everything else in life don't settle.
Yeah.. These disorders can be difficult to diagnose.. And the final diagnoses should take a while to come to .. Unless one is freaking out and in need of emergency medical attention.
I am OCD.. But my dr is always suspicious that I am bi polar.. We are exploring this now.. Slowly.. That's why I have this app "moody me" lol.. Ahhhh the times have changed!! ;)
Good luck with your journey in self discovery!!!
My son & I were both misdiagnosed with depression before Bipolar. Like Kelliesean said, it's often difficult. I'm relieved to have a correct diagnosis, because so much makes sense now!

I also agree with Auntbearbear - don't settle & be your own advocate. It took 4 months of doing it my GPs way and he did listen to me this last time, after I was properly diagnosed. I was put on meds I actually researched through here. He agreed & the result has made a world of difference.

My best!