Bipolar Disorder Community
Anger and Depression during period

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Anger and Depression during period

I notice when Im on my period I get depressed and very angry at little things and feel like I want to hurt somebody. Is that normal and what causes me to feel this way? and is it a name for it?
Yes, that's normal.  It's just an extreme case of Pre-Menstrual Stress/Tension (PMS/PMT).  I was like that for years and now it's calmed down to just minor stress/sadness/irritation each month - except every now and then when it gets very bad again.  A friend of mine is the same.  It's just that your hormones are probably a bit stronger than a lot of other girls' at this time.  And hormones fluctuate over a lifetime, since they're influenced by all kinds of things.  If it gets to the point where it's truly unbearable, you might want to talk to a doctor.  One of my girlfriends says that taking the pill calms down her PMS.  The pill clashes with some medications (like mine), and can mess with some girls' hormones in a bad way (making PMS worse), but for others it's really, really good.