Bipolar Disorder Community
Anger

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Anger

I am bipolar and worried about my anger mood swing which always turns back to bite me, does anyone else have these swings? Is this maybe meds or just a symptom of the illness? Thank You
I did before my current recovery and I would if I went off a mood stabilizer (which I wouldn't of course). An agitated mixed state is where a person has the down feeling of depression but the speeded up quality of mania and it does seem like you are angry at the world at the time. I found for myself among known treatments Lamictal was helpful on this and any form of rapid cycling but every person's response differs so speak to your psychiatrist about it.
Hi, my psych said that anger is a form of mania.  I've now found a mood stabilizer that actually helps with that symptom, also anti-psychotics are sometimes prescribed to help with anger if the mood stabilizer alone isn't helping.
I had extremely bad problems with anger before becoming stable.  I take Lamictal and it evens me out.  Now, I find that I have a hard time expressing my anger at all - but at least I don't have the manic screaming emotional meltdown anger fits!  

For my whole life, I have been known as the white tornado (I had really really blonde hair when I was little), and for the first time in my life, I am calm.  By teenage years, my mother was afraid of me - seriously afraid of me.  Yes, it's definitely a part of bipolar for many - but it's best to talk to your pdoc if you have extreme mood swings.  
I have talked to my pdoc, he put me on 50mg of Seroquel and that just flat out knocked me out. He said on my next visit he'd talk about the anger fits. I hate feeling drugged
but now I can sleep and no anger I am out of it.
I was diagnosed as depressive about 5 years ago and was put on Prozac by my GP. After a year or so I took myself off it because I didn't think it was helping. Recently I've been having anger issues. The cycle is vicious. I'm depressed and can't get out of bed all day. I go out and drink to "cure" the depression. That leads to anger coming out, I do stupid things, which makes me depressed the next day.

Two weeks ago I started seeing a new therapist who told me that anger was mania and that I'm probably BP. Problem is I can't get an appointment with a psych for another three weeks. Any suggestions what I can do in the meantime? And what meds work best for this and which should I avoid?
First I'd have to say don't drink. I know it sounds easy for me to say, but I was a raging alcoholic, I've quit now. It does nothing good for me or my bipolar, or depression or anger! Second, people can tell you what prescription med has worked for them, but really it may not go w/ your chemistry. So beware of that. Its trial and error w/ you and your chemistry when your doc gives you meds, so you need to be honest, and keep a close eye on ANY change w/ you. Thats what I'm going through right now, starting up meds, wishing they worked better, wishing that I could quit like I always do, knowing that if I do this will all happen again in about 2 years and 3 months from now! I had a bad reaction to a med and had to quit taking it, but it may have worked for many others on here. Its very important to remember that what works for one may or may not work for another. Anyway, I have no idea how to deal w/ anger, I have 3 children, a husband, and puppy that my husband thought would be good for us, I have a constant fight in my head. Its pure chaos, and I just can't wait to get evened out w/ meds and not be scared anymore. Wow, sorry about the tangent guys, this is another thing I've been doing. I write a lot. Thanks!
For a long time i was just depressed and then sometimes i'd have mania where i'd do stupid silly things that would irritate people or spend money i didnt have.  then i'd become depressed again.  lately i've been getting angry and doing mean things i otherwise wouldnt.  the other day i got mad and threw away papers that belonged to a coworker that were vital to an account.  this is something i'd never do previously and i dont know why i did it.  i felt guilt later but during i felt a strange excitement over it because it was something i'd never have done previously.  what is wrong w/ me.
this is part of BP called mixed state just a symptom of the illness as you said? You can conquer it by seroquel very easily.
I didn't have bad anger issues until I was put on some stabilizers, and then it came out more because the my wild-hyperactive side of my manic stages were suppressed. Unfortunately the anger wasn't.

My doc put me on Celexa for them, and for the anxiety. Over the past 12 years I've been taken off of it and then put right back on it at least 3 times [all with diff.docs]. It really does help me a great deal, with both the anger and anxiety; I don't have rages while I'm on it, but take me off, and my mania's always fluctuate into the 'oh-****-she's-pissed - RUN!!!!' realm. lol
I agree, lamictal worked for me, but you need to determine whether the anger is due to depression (need anti-depressants), or hypo-mania (get rid of anti-depressants & possibly go on sleep meds.
I, too, am on Seroquel. The minimum dose is 12.5mg, so you can take a 25mg and cut it in 1/2. You should start there, then gradually add if it isn't working.

I worked my way up to about 200 mg, but it took me 3 weeks. Hope this helps. Always start small!
If you still have the SSRI, Prozac, take 1 a day at beginning of the day. Get thee to a doctor, pronto. Your anger can stem from either mania, or depression. Take some on-line quizzes. They may help you determine what you have, or whether you are "mixed" bipolar.