Bipolar Disorder Community
Antagonistic Behavior in Bipolar. Where Does it Come from? How to Help ...
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Antagonistic Behavior in Bipolar. Where Does it Come from? How to Help a Person Cope with it?

I am concerned about one issue I find in dealing with a family member and a few friends with bipolar. I can't say I haven't been guilty myself of doing irrational things in the past before I recovered from schizoaffective disorder. Its just its the opposite with them. They compulsively will start a debate from nowhere taking the person's side who is opposed to me. Before I recovered I did think in an illogical way. I didn't care what people think. That's unhealthy. But the family member instead of being concerned and seeing both sides will compulsively take the other side "how they would feel", their "perception", etc. and they don't even know the person and it may even not be a conflict to begin with but they make it into one. Or keep telling me what not to do but not tell me some constructive action. Such as a friend with b.p. after a specific incident I was reporting (cannot detail) "after a while you have to stay out" but then he didn't tell me what to do. And then started an arguement about it. And he supported me that the other side was in the wrong to begin with. Also anything with the family member from the bipolar is "blame". I try to explain its constructive criticism and they shouldn't talk to me about it. They should speak to their therapist about it. I don't want to discuss their life with them to begin with. Its not appropriate. But I explain to them calmly "please don't debate or psychoanalyze my e-mails" (right now I can't use the phone) but then it happens again and again. Where does it come from? Is it a compulsion? Is there a term for it? And how (besides treatment which they are thinking of but its occured with other people I know as friends regardless who are under treatment) do I deal with it? And how can they learn not to do it from their terms as its unhealthy for them? Any strategies or suggestions?