Bipolar Disorder Community
Anti-psychotics and Prolactin

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Anti-psychotics and Prolactin

I have been on Risperdal for several years now and it, along with other meds, has kept me relatively stable. I was having some side effects and after blood work it was discovered that my Prolactin level was over 3x normal. My doc switched me to Latuda saying that it didn't have any of the Prolactin raising side effects. However, reading the brochure from the manufacturer, it lists that as one of the main side effects. After about 2 weeks, I started to have side effects to the Latuda, including tremors in my jaw which caused me to subconsciouslly clench my teeth, causing massive headaches. My doc has just left the area and I haven't been able to get an appt with anyone new yet. Does anyone know of a good anti-psychotic that doesn't cause raised Prolactin that I can bring info about to my primary doc? She is not super versed in the mental health meds but I don't have anyone else to go to at the moment.
  All antipsychotics have the potential to cause prolactin elevation.
It seems from some studies that Geodon and Abilify had the least
potential for this to occur although every person responds differently
to each medication.