Bipolar Disorder Community
Any alternatives to Risperdal?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Any alternatives to Risperdal?

I may have to go off my Risperdal. My doctor is checking my hormone levels because my periods have stopped and I am lactating. He said if my hormone levels are high I can either add Abilify or replace the Risperdal altogether. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any medications that I could replace the Risperdal with. I don't go see my psychiatrist for another 2 months.
Seroquel, Ziprexa, Zeldox (Geodone in the US), and Abilify would be the alternatives to Risperadol. Risperadol made me lactate! Wow was that every weird. It really messes with the girly hormones.

I taken all the above and had to quit them for weird side effects. I now take Abilify and it has changed my world. I am doing better than I ever have. It was harsh to start though. It made my stomach so sore for a couple of months. Really bad. But it does great things for my brain. I know every body is different - this is just my story.

If it were me I would replace rather than add. Keeping the risperadol on board will continue the girly issues.
I take Abilify and I haven't had any problems with it. You may need to call your psychiatrist so she/he can change your medication.
people respond differently to meds what might be good for someone might not be good for someone else
I plan on talking to my psychiatrist about it, it just might be a while. I know different medications work differently for different people. I just wanted to know what my other options might be.

I have taken Abilify before and it didn't seem to do anything. I took Seroquel and had to stop it for side effects. I took Geodon a very long time ago but don't remember how it effected me. I wish I didn't have all these side effects with the Risperdal it is working well for me otherwise.
I really dislike medication changes...it is always a roll of the dice to see what it is going to do...
Sorry to hear that it is working but the side effects mean you have to change it. That is harsh. Ziprexa was like that with me. Loved what it did to my brain - but it spiked my triglicerides (triglycerides) to dangerous levels.