Bipolar Disorder Community
Anyone diagnosed because of reaction to Meds

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

What does mania or hypomania feel like, I have several friends who have said I should not feel this good so quickly, do I need to be concerned? I feel great and a little annoyed that they are being so negative. I am only on a low does 20mg of Citalopram.
I was diagnosed 10 days ago with severe depression, I was crying everyday, couldnt sleep, couldnt think, didnt talk, couldnt function. I was also given Zopiclone to help get me to sleep as I had not slept properly for 6 months or so

10 Days later and I feel happy not excessive in my opinion, I am able to function and do stuff like spring clean my house, mow the lawns, complete tasks at work, things that 10 days ago I could not do. I do feel a little speedy and aggitated, I am getting a little frustrated that I cant do everything I want to do. My mind is constantly going and I am finding that I cant concentrate easily, I did have this with the depression but they were negative thoughts, now its mainly positive proactive. I have a new mentality of "am I bothered" type of feeling, nothing is depressing me even when normal stuff like the kids recking the newly cleaned house happens. I guess I am a little concerned that I am not worrying about stuff especially my daughter whom I have been consumed with worry about over the last six months but I just dont seem to worry at the moment but this could just be a relief effect.
I asked my husband if he thinks im acting weird and he said no apart from the fact that he wants to go to bed and im just not tired. The sleeping pills are taking longer to get me off to sleep than the first few days did and I am not tired at all.

Do I need to be concerned or can I tell my friends and mother in law not to worry.

My advice would be to check in with your Dr just to put yours and everyone elses mind at rest.  I'm not sure what you were like before your depression so its not easy to establish whether or not you are hypomanic.  The fact that you are not sleeping though isn't good as your body will become exhausted.  What time of day do you take the citalopram?

Zopiclone doesn't work for everyone and only really lasts for about 6 weeks, it is a short term solution to insomnia.  I have even heard of some people getting a buzz from it, which seems a bit back to front but then I don't know what other medications they were on.

ADs can cause hypomania/mania in people with BP, I'm afraid I don't know enough to know whether this can happen to people who are not BP.

Hope you find some answers here but definitely go back and see your Dr.

Take care.
I have been depressed for so long I dont know how I felt when I was normal. I was taking my AD at 6pm but last night missed it and took it this morning to see if this helps with the insomnia as I feel so wired before I go to bed. I was completley exhaused 10 days ago and thats why my doc gave me the sleeping tablets temporarily to get me back into a sleeping pattern, the first few days they got me off to sleep quickly but I kept waking up but then I would drop off again, now I lay waiting for them to work and its taking longer and then I wake up a few hours later and am frustrated its not morning yet. I did speak to my doctor on day 6 and he said they were only supposed to last a few hours and that the AD should not cause insomnia and that my mood will settle, he said because I was really low the pills have made me a little high and then they will settle down and my mood will even out. My husband is annoyed I didnt tell him everything, I just told him about the sleeping problem and that I felt good but not exessive. I felt too embaressed to speak to him about everything else especially the talking in my head, he is my family doctor and has seen how consumed with worry I have been with my daughter and probably thinks im a bit of a fruit loop anyway without giving him any other reason. I dont know maybe I have gone a little mad but I feel good and after feeling the way I have over the last year I dont want to tell him incase he takes my meds off me, I really like feeling like this.
Yes mania can feel good at the time but it is a "false" good, apart from the possibility of you taking risks you wouldn't normally take there is also a chance of going into a mixed manic state which can be very dangerous.  There is nearly always a crash after a high and it is important that your mood is made stable and "normal".  Excessive highs are not good anymore than the crippling depression you were experiencing prior to the medication.

You need to tell the Dr everything so that he can take the necessary course of action.

Feeling great in a manic state is what makes this conditon so dangerous.  I think I speak for most people when I say I miss my "highs" but it is just not physically possible to maintain them without it having a detrimental impact on both your physical and mental health.

Don't be embarassed to tell you Dr, if he knows you as well as you say then he will know that you are acting out of character, he is not there to judge but to help make you well.

Good luck.
But I dont have BP, I think I have just thought myself into a mental illness, I was thinking 24/7 for months that my daughter had a serious mental illness I have just wound myself up to the point Ive sent myself a little batty. I slept better last night but I feel really aggitated, couldnt put the kids to bed last night, wanted to go do something and was frustrated that it was unable to do so but the feeling past, im not doing anything too extreme I think its just a mild high, what will happen if I stop taking them thats what scares me most I dont want to feel bad like I did, I like feeling like I do.
I am confused.  You do not have Bipolar?

What does the psychiatrist say?

On the face of it what you describe are hypomanic like symptoms, And as you have a diagnosis of major depression and yep true to form the family doctor prescribes good old Celexa/Citalopram... My lord dont these GP's/Family Docs's just love the SSRI Anti Depressants - they're like jelly beans.

Ok here's the thing - in my exeprience there are 2 points to consider.

1. Is that the average GP/Family Doc has zero knowledge or mental illness outside of a few subjects at uni and what they read in books and journals.  They now only the basics and major illnesses such as depression.  Most Bipolar's I know were diagnosed with one of 2 things when they went to the doctor - depression or ADHD.  This is the 2 poles in which doc's stick people - if you are down you are depressed if you are up you are hyperactive.  Every now and then you get a GP who did a little more study and reading who can have a stab at a proper diagnosis - they are rare.  In the US it seems to be the same as Australia where the next thing they do is reach for the script pad and hand out whatever drug is flavour of the day for the condition they have just diagnosed - SSRI's for Depression or Ritalin for ADHD..

2. It is entirely possible for you to feel hypomanic on SSRI drugs, it is in fact a common side effect for Bipolar patients.  Mind you there are less common side effects which are more dangerous as well.

I think you need to see a psychiatrist - no you may not have Bipolar but there may be something else wrong and you need to be treated - sleeping pills are maintenance therapy not a cure - you need to get to the root of what is causing the problems and treat i.t.  In the meantime please do me a favour - if you move from feeling energetic to feeling very high and twitchy and disconnected and start hearing or seeing things or start experiencing feelings of self harm or suicide please go to hospital ok.

I am not saying you are going to experience these I just worry because if you are a bipolar then AD SSRI's are not always safe and they can be dangerous especially without a Mood Stabiliser.
I am not a doctor, but have been married to someone with bipolar for ten years.  If you are not sure if it's just relief from being depressed for so long or if you do indeed have bipolar, ask you spouse and family or friends how your actions are compared to the way you were before the depression.  My husband knows he has bipolar, has been diagnosed and is on meds for ten years.  However, he is now in a hypomanic state and loves the way he feels so much, he is refusing to change meds and is saying this is the new him.  Well, my grown kids, friends and especially I know that it's not a new him.  The fear is that after his "highs", there sometimes is the "low:" which is awful and believe me you don't want that to happen to you.  It's terrible to go through and to watch.  As good as he feels now, I fear that the "low" will come where he cannot eat, sleeps too much, has trouble functioning and so damn sad.  So please ask you family.  They have no reason to tell you anything but what they see and then please listen to them.  It can save you from going through hell.  I only wish my husband would listen to us.
good luck

One thing I forgot to mention is that I've been married to this guy for 35 years, 25 years that he had "no" signs of bipolar, depression, nothing.  So I am very aware of what is stable condition is.  Also, as good as he feels, he sometimes does things when he's "up" like this, that are both dangerous and embarassing to him and those around him.  Says the wrong things (whats on his mind) to the wrong people, etc.  Get aggitated fast and fights easily with me and the kids and those at work.  So it's really a problem that can be dangerous in many ways.  
Hope this helps you.
I became hypomanic on SSRI, specifically celexa, cipralex and cymbalta - you sound like ME.. I was diagnosed as BP2 with mixed states rapid cycling.  I never got super high, just felt really good amd got things done. Regular sleeping pills helped for only a short while, then I would have to switch.  There's nothing wrong with the diagnosis, you will get on meds which will help you and sleep better.  I am glad I finally got the diagnosis, so I can start to feel better. You should think about it, and see a psychiatrist!
Hi all thanks for all the comments, I took your advise and spoke to my husband, he says he cant remember what I was like before the depression he thinks I was sort of like this but maybe a little exagerated. I still feel great but am having some kind of mind play, I keep seeing bugs at the side of me just for a split second, I know they are not there or I feel a crawling sensation on me, its weird because I am aware they are not real. I have found that my conversations in my head are not so rapid, they have calmed down a little and am just having periods during each day when they speed up but its not as overwhelming as they were, they are positive thoughts not negative just things I am wanting to do. The insomnia has not gone, I am still having to take the sleeping pill, I tried last night to go without but I just lay there and tossed and turned for an hour or so and that was when my ideas were flying so I gave in and took one, I just dont feel tired.
I think my mind has been so focused on my daughter and on mental illness that I have talked myself into this reaction, I find it incredible that I feel so gay, laughing and joking and I guess I am saying somethings that are not appropriate but nothing too major, I had a difficult morning with my two youngest this morning, they were playing up before school and I had just ran around them happy and positive and then they pushed me too far and I gave them a good talking to on the way to school. I do feel aggitated sometimes but its out of frustration that people arnt sharing my happiness, does that make any sense. My husband is really miserable with the kids especially the teenagers and is excluded from our laughs and jokes in the evening, I think he is a little depressed really and should probably go and get some help, I keep joking with him that he should go and get some of my happy pills but he just doesnt have the same sense of humour as I have, hes exhausted, he hates it when I am up and doing stuff, he feels like he should be doing stuff too, I tell him to sit down and relax Im happy doing what Im doing on my own but hes a bit of velcro pants really, I never get any time to myself all my girls and my husband follow me around its a little annoying, even when I go to spray the paddock my husband will follow me to point out the thistles. I dont think I could have been depressed because of the rapid recovery, I said to my husband last night I must have just been soo tired and soo worried about my daughter that now I have caught up with sleep and I dont have to worry about her so much that I wasnt depressed, he says im dreaming and that I was definatley depressed and I sort of agree but everyone tells me I should not feel this good that it takes weeks for AD to work so I dont know I guess time will tell, in the mean time I am enjoying myself, I have confided in a friend who has promissed to keep an eye on me, she sees that I am very fidgity like shaking my leg fast while I am having a coffee with her, she thinks I should have only half a pill and she is a little worried for me but she is aware and is prepared to jump in if nessersary.