Bipolar Disorder Community
Anyone taking Abilify?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Anyone taking Abilify?

I was taking Haldol for my bi-polar and it made me too sleepy. I also took Trilafon and it worked well,but there isn't any $4 plan for it. I found out that my Pharmacy has a program for me to get Abilify for free so I want to give it a try. I was wondering if there are any bad side affects to look out for.
The atypical antipsychotics (Risperdal through Abilify, Fanapt and Saphris) have a safer side effect profile than the typicals (Thorazine through Haldol)  in that they have half the statistical potential of causing tardive dyskinesia (a long term side effect which is a movement disorder of all current antipsychotics except for Clozaril). They also have far more of a mood stabilization effect and have been specifically FDA approved for this purpose. I did have some difficulty on Abilify with it being activating (that is causing difficulty sleeping, unlike other antipsychotics which are often sedating) and this is not uncommon but each person responds differently to each medication and many people I know have found it to be of help as well.
I take Abilify and it had less side effects than the Geodon I took before it.  It did cause me to gain weight however and doesn't work as good as the Geodon did in some aspects but works better in others.  Abilify disrupts my sleep as well much like ILADVOCATE experienced but it also sedates me at the same time.