Bipolar Disorder Community
Anyone with side effects of Abilify

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Anyone with side effects of Abilify

I recently went off Depakote due to weight gain of 50 pounds.  I was started on Lamictal and within the first two weeks gained another 5-6 pounds.  I stopped that immediately.  My doctor wants me to start on Abilify but I declined after I read the side effects.  Has anyone had any uncontrolled movements, weight gain, tardive dyskinesia, etc. with this medication.  If so, please let me know.  I really need a medication to replace the ones I went off of but my doctor is giving me no other choices.  I'm absolutely scared to death about the side effects of this medication.  Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.
I  take Abilify ( 30 mg) once in tha A.M. & have for the past few years. It is a
wonder drug as far as I'm considered. I HATE Depakote, the side effects alone
I hate (weight gain).  I & I  speak only from my view that the Depakote is, (for me)
the instigator of the weight gain. I AM on Depakote (for seizures). currently & I  
am SLOWLY going off it WITH my Doc's advice. I am on a HIGH dose & they
have me withdrawing from it (250 mg) at a time. The amt. of Depakote withdrawl (withdrawal)
is consistent every month so I  don't suffer rebound seizure! Hope this Helps!
I have been on both Depakote, Abilify, and countless other meds for bipolar disorder. Unfortunately they have ALL made me gain weight rapidly. I gain over 80 lbs. in one year. Eventually I decided happiness was more important than looks. I went to a healer a few weeks back and heard that you can replace these meds with flaxseed oil. hope this helps.
>>>I gain over 80 lbs. in one year. Eventually I decided happiness was more important than looks. I went to a healer a few weeks back and heard that you can replace these meds with flaxseed oil.

you mean looks are more important than happiness as you were happy on meds but not happy with the weight gain.

it's common knowledge that omega3 can help depression and fish oil better than flaxoil (linseed). But can it substitute them !!.

Finally what is the meaning of a healer, another sort of pdoc but not graduating from the medical school ?
I took Abilify for a while but every time I had to take a pee test it showed that I had PSP in my system but I was taking Requip with it as well. As soon as I had 2 pee test 2 months apart I stoped the Abilify and have had no more PSP show up on my test.
I hate Abilify. Within over two years of taking it I went from 5' 2" & 115 lbs to gaining 65 pounds and ending up at a whopping 180 lbs. Look into the Fisher Wallace device at www.fisherwallace.com. It is an at home version of tns therapy like Neurostar and Harvard studies have shown it effectively relieves bipolar disorder, major depression, ptsd, anxiety and even sleep disorders. No side effects!!! Good luck!
Same thing, but worse! I gained the weight, slept for like 20 hours, got cateracts, glacoma, STROKE, & now cant stay awake for more than 3-4 hours, & developed brain damge. The doctor suppose to do bloodwork first, BUT that never happenned! Went to ER, & they tried to cover it up, & DNR! Finally getting people to listen, when the stroke society mention, i should sue! Sooooooo tired!
Well, what a lot of different opinions. I am on Depakote and Lamictal (7 years)
and find that works for me. No weight gain. As soon as my doctor convinced me that I also needed Abilify all hell broke loose. I couldn't stop jerking, spilling most of my food on the floor when i ate, even having to use to hands to hold a cup. I ended up so bad I had to get a shot of Benedril in the ER. Out with Abilify.
You r very lucky. A ll i can say is my short stent with it, & then the Mayo clinic mess up, each day NOW, is worse than last day. Trying to get nerve up, to go to ER, & let them do there thing, cas i cant even take care of myself. Some apologies r starting to come, but it ws my life, & they or 1st hosp. goes just do it for 2 more weeks. Told them "NO" u saw what it ws doing to me! At least they admit it ws a cerebral onclusion/ cerebral something?!! Dont have the strenghth or power to go get mt paperwork. I am typing this on my knees! Good luck!
After a few months on Abilify, I developed tremors in both hands and a month down the line the legs started.  They took me off (tapered) and after a short period they went away.  However ,  I've heard the longer you have them the more likely they are to become permanent.