Bipolar Disorder Community
Applied for disability Bipolar, anxiety, PTSD, depression

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Has anyone been approved for disability for Bipolar? I have been denied twice. My attorney and I appealed and awaiting a hearing. I'm very nervous about the hearing also. Any comments will help. TY in advance
my daughter in law was "approved" first time around.  
I applied to for depression post partum depression anxiety and depression.. Anyone ?? How to get approved
I got accepted for SSDI with a diagnosis of schizophrenia on the first try.
  Yes the most important thing is to have supporting medical evidence from your treating psychiatrist. Review the case file in advance (which to my knowledge is nw on a cd-rom) to see what evidence is there as well. At the hearing besides the judge there could be a medical expert (who could ask specific medical questions about your disability) and a vocational expert (who could ask specific questions about how your disability prevents you from working).
If you have worked in the past they would need specific evidence as to why you could not work now.Any records that cannot be obtained could be subpeonad but it must be two weeks in advance.
  Full information can be found at the social security website ssa.gov including full listings for the various disabilities and their criteria which you could bring to your psychiatrist. Then dependeing on whether you meet the critieria they could have a better idea on how to complete the documentation. Also there is a questions and answers section. Another good site is disabilitysecrets.dot.com which provides some answers to common questions. You could discuss all this with your lawyer and as obtaining much of the evidence requires completing release forms work with them to insure your case file is accurate and up to date.. Also it would be essential to discuss specific questions about why you cannot work and some of the reasons why with your psychiatrist.
Thank u for the info
Yes , i'm on disability , at the time i was approved i was diagnosed as bi polar 2 , social phobia and avoidant personality disorder about 3 years ago , now they seem to think i could be schizoaffective , or bi polar with psychotic features with rapid cycling and mixed states  
My therapist suggested to me that I apply when I was in a bad depression episode. I got denied the first time appealed it and got it the second time. It took me about 6 months. Of course I had been to mental health providers off and on since I was about 15...I am 28 now. I also had a manic episode a month before I got approved which required hospitalization. I think if you have been hospitalized it may improve your chances of getting it. I have heard of some people trying to get it for two years. My diagnoses are the same as yours  I think. Bipolar 1, General Anxiety Disorder, PTSD. I think the depression is just part of the bipolar disorder. Anyways I hope you get it...good luck.
I have Bipolar 1 and was approved on the first try. I had the support of my psychiatrist and psychologist, many hospitalizations, two leaves of absence from my job for mental health issues, recent electroconvulsive treatments and had been on disability through my job for a year.
Yes, the most important thing is you have a doctor backing your cause who agrees you should be on disability.