Bipolar Disorder Community
Are nutritutional supplements OK to take for weight loss?
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Are nutritutional supplements OK to take for weight loss?

After many years, I've found a cocktail which gives me the security I need.  I am Bi-polar II, and used to cycle rapidly, which was terrifying because I never knew how I'd feel, or what caused it or would make it go away.   I don't want to change the drugs because they work -- my life is drama-free, and I'm very grateful. I also take a thyroid supplement.   I recently had to add a cholesterol-lowering drug, and have been told I'm now borderline diabetic.  
  I'm now about 50 pounds overweight, most of which has come from the munchies I get at night after I take the cocktail.  I absolutely have to loose some weight before gardening season comes, or I won't be able to work.  Diets have never worked for me. -- the only time I've lost weight is when I'm extremely depressed and anxious, and I don't want to go there again.  I tried weight-watchers, but they don't have any cure for the munchies.
  I just ordered Sensa, the "sprinkle diet."  I'm a little afraid to try it, although it only contains flavor enhancers, which supposedly then stimulate hormones telling you that you're full.  I'm hoping that it will help me control the urges to stuff food into my mouth until there's no more room!  
so, the question is, does anyone have any experience with adding  "Sensa", or other weight loss nutritional supplements in addition to the psychotropic drugs we take?