BPII - Topamax Mood Stabilizer
Hi There ~

Anyone use Topamax as a mood stabilizer? How did you like it? How long did it take to work? What side affects did you notice? Did they go away/diminish?

I have just been prescribed it as a mood stabilizer, I take it at night only (to decrease side effects and due to fatigue) and have titrated up to 50mg and will be upping to 75mg this week (25mg a week - going slow because I am pretty neurotic about meds) and will prob stop at 100 or 150mg as per Pdoc.

I know all the usual suspects and Topamax jokes (dopamax, tingling, word recall, etc) that you read on the brochure or hear about, but I wanted some personal feedback as far as how long the effects last and if they diminish. So far I haven't really had word recall issues and I've had some tingling but read that meant I needed to up my water intake and once I did that, the paresthesia (tingles) went away immediately.

What I do feel is TIRED....Like worked to the bone tired and decreased energy which is a bummer because that perpetuates my depression and anxiety. I am not a good "fatigued" person, lol - I get weepy.

I also seem to be (ironically) a bit weepy and moody on the Topamax - BUT with that said, I read somewhere that on the lower sub-therapeutic dose that does happen? But I don't know if that is true or not and can't seem to find where I read that. Has anyone had that experience and do you level out like you do on the SSRI - SSRNI's?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing your stories. I hope to hear some positive ones - I am really hoping this works to stabilize my mood (and help me lose a few pounds too!!)

Thank you!!

Stacie
i was on topamax for 5 yr for my bipolar...worked great as u i wasnt drinkin enough water n went numb in my hands.. i was  on 50mgs 2x a day. it took about 2wks til dr got me on the rite mgs a day.but once i had the right amount felt normal.i wasnt cryin for no reason any more.as for other side affects didnt have any...i was takin a slepin pill aswell,n wellbutrin.
My doctor prescribed it and frankly I found it a poor substitute to some of the other medications I've taken since. I got taken off of it by the psychiatrist who said it was shown to be poor in comparison to other medications.

There is no comparison to abilify which is what I take now. But each person is different so it may work great for you. I just didn't find the cognitive impairment was worth what it offered in terms of symptom relief.
I took 100mg topamax for three years with no serious side effects and then all hell broke loose.  All of the sudden I had serious cognitive lapses and ugh - diarrhea.  Bad.  I tried lowering the dosage, didn't help.  I had to stop taking it all together.
I am convinced it was the combination of Saphris and topamax that sent my system into a frenzy.  I don't take either one now.