Bipolar Disorder Community
Bad weed trip

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bad weed trip

So I smoked up yesterday, except this time I smoked too much, of some VERY potent stuff, and I had a really bad trip. I thought I had Down's Syndrome - in fact, I truly believed it - and I imagined I was living in an alternate reality. It scared the **** out of me. I was wondering whether this was just a reaction to my medication (Zyprexa) or whether this was general paranoia, or whether this is a sign that I should give up the herb forever. I know for a fact that I'm not going to smoke again any time soon, but I do want to know why this happened and what could have caused it.
I can tell this is going to take me some time to get over.
Both affect your central nervous system. Pot can indeed cause paranoia. It may have had a more potent THC content or even could have been laced with something. Its not advisable for people taking anti depressants to engage in illicit drugs. They can make you more depressed. If your trip was enough to reconsider please do so. Any loss of reality can be very dangerous to yourself or even others.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and I only took one hit from what I was told was "good weed" the last time I smoked weed (which was a long time ago) and I experienced time freezing and saw a hallway that wasn't even there.  When I looked again it was a brick wall.  I can't say it scared me because time freezing also froze my brain but it was unpleasant after the fact.  I think weed exacerbates bipolar disorder and schizophrenia as well as some other mental illnesses.
Also the weed wasn't laced with anything, the guys I smoked it with didn't experience anything like this whatsoever and were OK.
Everything I have read (with the exception of 1 or 2 individual experiences) says THC and the meds normally used to treat BP are a very bad idea.  Extreme paranoia, psychosis, schizoid behaviors and lots more unpleasant stuff can all be associated with using weed while taking our meds.

Thanks so much. Its going to be a while before I smoke again, for sure.