Bipolar Disorder Community
BiPolar & SSI

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

BiPolar & SSI

I was wondering if any of you are BiPolar and have applied for Social Security disability?  I was denied the first go around and now have a hearing before a judge for my appeal next month.  I am hoping you could give me some advice.  

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,
My sister receives SSi and has for 30 years.   I know she went before the court years ago, and was supported by her pyschiatrist and counselor.  It isn't much, but it helps

I hope that you have a good SS attorney or a mental health advocate who will help you. Good luck and keep us posted here...
I have been on SSI for over 10 years now.  I was diagnosed with bipolar/anger disorder at first.  It wasn't a problem for me to get on SSI because I had a great shrink and advocate working for me.  They REALLY didn't want me going back to work.  I've tried several times to go back to work but it always ends the same.  I lose my meds and I lose my job soon after because of doing something bad on the job.  I'm a very nice and kind person on my meds but take them away and violence is soon to come.  If you get denied, even twice, try try again.  I've heard of some people that it has taken 4 times to actually get it.   Shane
Do you have a MHMR agency in your state or area?   It's a mental health agency that offers free assistance with meds, case workers, shrinks, ect. and usually handle all of the medicare needs within the state.  

These agencies will assist you in applying for SSDI or SSI.
This is really a post to all who have responded.  As for the MHMR agency, I don't know, but it would be worth checking out.  The person who is representing me is a social worker from the VA.  I was a Vet, and my bi-polar diagnosis is a service connected disability as far as the VA is concerned.  I am very grateful to be classified as being 70% disabled, and have applied and was granted as being 100% unemployable.  It's too bad that Social Security won't accept the VA's ruling.  My social worker from the VA has access to all of my medical records, and he has been tremendous in representing me throughout my VA claim.  He is representing me now throughout the SS hearing.  He has told me that the only difference is that he does it for free, whereas a lawyer wants their percentage of my backpay if successful.  My rep. has forwarded all of my recent and pertinent records to the SS office, and will be with me next month when my claim is to be held.  
Good luck - sounds like you have a great person who is working on your behalf!!