Bipolar Disorder Community
Bipolar & ADHD

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bipolar & ADHD

I have been diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD. I took a self test to deterime which kind of ADHD I had ( there are 6 different kinds.) The test results showed that I had Ring Of Fire ADHD. I was researching this specific type of ADHD and this is what I found:

Type 6 -- The Ring of Fire. Cross between ADHD and bipolar disorder. Characterized by moodiness, aggressiveness, and anger. Anticonvulsants or newer antipsychotic medications tend to work better than stimulants.

Now I am starting to doubt my diagnosis of bipolar. What if I just have Ring of Fire ADHD?

I guess part of me hopes that I don't have bipolar disorder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
These kind of online tests are generally inaccurate. Best to read books or look on websites that are accurate and informational as well and then discuss your specific concerns with your psychiatrist from there.
Thanks for your reply. I took this test from a dvd/workbook I got called " Magnificent Mind At Any Age" by Amen Clinics,Inc. It cost almost one hundred dollars.

I will discuss with my doctor. I guess it is not as important what my diagnosis is as long as she is treating the symptoms.

Yeah the important thing is the symptoms are treated, not the diagnosis itself.  Only good it is is to give doctors a general idea of what treatment modality to abide by for you and so you finally have a name for your problems.
Also, not everyone in the medical community agrees with Dr. Amen. He has set up his own criteria for those types of ADHD and I don't know if they are all accepted as actual diagnosis yet. Some people really believe in him, but others think less of him. It is better to find a doctor in your area that you agree with that can work with you directly, or if you like his style of treatment, see if he has a clinic or clinic following his practices in your area.

Good luck!
I can understand not wanting the diagnosis of Bi-Polar. But regardless of whether you get the label or not, you'll need to be treated for your symptoms. I'm not familiar with the clinic you got the test from, but I know that no book is comparable to a personal diagnosis from a trained doctor who has seen and heard you.

Good luck,

~Dame
Dr. Amen is a specialist in ADHD and ADD. He's sort of a "celebrity" in that field. I don't know how much he works with bipolar. When my husband was diagnosed with ADD we took one of his at home tests, (given to us by a psychologist,) to determin what type of ADD but it just seemed to be an all out personality disorder test. It asked questions from depression to eating disorders to movement disorders. It appeared to be a good test to give multiple diagnosis of multiple illnesses rather than determine type of ADD. The test was over 50 questions long so my husband never completed it.

Not sure if that's the same test.
Thank you so much for your replies. Thanks for the information on Dr. Amen.

Xila31- It sounds like your husband and I took the same test.

The most important thing is my symptoms are being treated and they are. I am not my diagnosis :)
Exactly. :) You're April, not ADHD or Bipolar. I'm glad you're getting good treatment now.