Bipolar Disorder Community
Bipolar, just started Zyprexa (olanzapine), and I think it's causi...

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bipolar, just started Zyprexa (olanzapine), and I think it's causing me to become manic?

It's only the second night taking it, not on any other medication at the moment, and it has completely woken me up (which is kind of an understatement)... I'm wondering if it's the beginning of a manic episode, or if instead of a sedative effect, for whatever reason it's having the opposite effect. So, my question (posed to anyone bipolar who's taken the med) is how did your body/mind react the first couple of days on Zyprexa? They say the most common side effect is sedation, which is why I was told to take it at night... maybe I should just talk to the doctor about taking it in the morning?

Any other input/advice/experiences on the drug would be appreciated as well. What were/are your experiences with Zyprexa (olanzapine)?
  I found Zyprexa to be sedating as is generally common although each person responds differently to each medication. Some medications did cause me to have insomnia although this is far less common with Zyprexa. Sometimes I found that some medications when they were started or raised would give me a temporary feeling of euphoria which would then go back to stability. I did speak to my psychiatrist and he said this can happen. However what you are describing is unusual and potentially of concern so it would be worthwhile to speak to your psychiatrist and they can see whether the Zyprexa is just not treating what it was prescribed for yet as it was just started or if it is worsening things and what the specific cause of the insomnia is as that can be treated as well. Also keep a mood tracker and sleep tracker and see how things are on a daily basis and how they change and print out the results for your psychiatrist.
It's good to remember too that any drug that can sedate, can also act as a stimulant in some people and vice versa even though it may not be common.  Just like the warnings always seen on anti-depressants, "May cause increased thoughts of suicide".  Gee, thanks that's just what I wanted to hear.  
Talking Ziprexa didn't sedate me. It made my brain feel wonderful. I've never felt so sane in my life. Unfortunately it spiked my trigyclerides and I had to go off of it :(