Bipolar Disorder Community
Bipolar? Mixed state?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bipolar? Mixed state?

Hey I was hoping someone can help me (little background: I'm 17, I've been seeing a bunch of different therapists for about a year or two now. I started for depression and self harm but other issues have cropped up. Some ideas have been thrown around, bipolar and bpd, but I haven't been diagnosed.)
Anyway I haven't really slept for the past week. I finally got some normal sleep last night but before then I had been going to sleep after 5 am, or not at all. The next day I'm not tired but I'm extremely moody. My mood just kinda swings from overtired and hyper to irritable and agitated. But some days I was horribly moody the whole day, like really irritated, really angry, depressed, cutting, and just generally bad. I know I haven't been diagnosed but I feel like the past week hasn't been normal. I've heard of mixed episodes before, which I understand as a kind of irritable manic state. Is it possible that this is what I'm having? Or am i just really tired and moody? I would really appreciate any help or advice you can offer. Thanks :)
Probably mixed episode if you are truly experiencing depression at the same time in the midst of all this rather than just irritable mania.  Be sure to keep notes of your symptoms each day and bring to your next appointment.  This will be key to diagnosing you properly so you can get the treatment and help you need and deserve!
you are alive and well, not to mention ahead of your time, this world that we live in puts so much pressure on us, but we are not of this world, this world cant handle us, therefore it plays tricks on our minds, the world is not in control of you, you are in control of you, therefore I say to you Live! And never ever lose control of You!
It's a definite possibility.  Dysphoric mania is another term for mixed state (I don't think there's any big differences between the terms at least).  Mixed states are technically defined as fitting the criteria for depression and mania simultaneously for at least 4 day (I think it's 4, might be 7).  Some mental health professionals use a more subjective rating that might not fit the DSM exactly.  Ask your therapist about it.  Try to write down all of the moods and symptoms you're having, and bring the list/journal with you to your next appointment.  
Hello there, it is difficult to say because even in a completely healthy person sleep-deprivation can cause depression/moodiness/even symptoms of psychosis. So first of all your sleep problem needs to be monitored & corrected by a professional. Once it's figured out, things can be taken further from there.  I wish you the best.
The difference is that she's saying she's not tired after going to bed at 5 a.m. or not at all.  A normal individual who is not in a mixed or (hypo)manic state is going to be tired after that.