Bipolar Disorder Community
Bipolar and Schizoid

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bipolar and Schizoid

HI is it possible to be both Bipolar and Schizoid? I know i have bipolar, but i just recently took one of the those 600 question mental test. It says i also am a Schizoid, I agree partly, but i looked into it and how it says a schizoid doesn't enjoy sex or having barely any social contact. I am obsessed with sex, it has gotten me in trouble, and still does. I have 5 best friends, but i don't enjoy social gatherings, i'd rather hang out with 1 or 2 people than a big group of people. It also says they have few pleasures. I'm obsessed with music, and writing and movies. It also says schzoid are cold people, i can be cold sometimes, but i do have feelings and when people upset me i can very easily depressed or anger, so that trait doesn't fit me too well either. Does this diagonsis sound right, for the schizoid part?
It would be best to see  a psychiatrist to be evaluated. It is possible to be boht though I know I am schiziod when I am really manic and throw in some paranoia as well.
See a pdoc and go from there.
Love Venora
Its better to address what's wrong than to match yourself up with criteria. I wouldn't take an online test. If you have specific concerns I would speak to your psychiatrist. I have made a full recovery from schizoaffective disorder (read through my posts) and that is a combination of schizophrenia with a mood disorder. If you have concerns that are issues that go beyond bipolar such as psychotic thoughts or delusions or anything like that it is of concern and do speak to your psychiatrist. An online test is basically meaningless. What were your concerns that lead you to believe this in the first place? People with schizophrenia have trouble relating to people in an extreme sense. Those are called negative symptoms. But when someone is depressed they avoid people as well. Its complex. Only a psychiatrist can fully understand it. Best not to self diagnose and if you want to know more we have some good websites on the links page that are a heck of a lot more informative than an online quiz. But ultimately only a psychiatrist can understand this fully.
The online tests anyway say it's not meant as a diagnosis tool.  They are unreliable due to the scoring system and how the questions are limited when the presentation of a mental illness is usually as unique as each individual.
Yeah, I wouldn't take those online tests too seriously, once me and a few friends took a do you have a personality disorder? test, and guess what - we all had some kind of personality disorder. I think mine came up schizotypal, and no I diddn't lose any sleep over it! :)
On a more serious note, if you are experiencing symptoms you are worried about ask your pdoc, get assessed by a person not a pc.
mental illness is far more trouble than physical illness
I would say it depends on the person and illness severity like you can't really say one mental illness is worse than the other technically.  Locked in syndrome for example causes a person to be paralyzed all over except being able to blink and move their eyes but sometimes they can't even do that and they can still feel everything.  That originates in the brain but I don't think it can be classified as mental illness by the definition of mental illness.  I can't imagine what that'd be like not being able to scratch an itch I have for example or tell anyone about it.