Bipolar Disorder Community
Bipolar and social awkwardness?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Bipolar and social awkwardness?

I feel so socially awkward, and I was wondering if any of you think that the bipolar can cause this or make it worse?
Yes, i do to ,i believe Bi polar is a big part of it and social anxiety go's hand in hand with Bi polar , it suck's i much rather be byself these day's cause of it , i socialise sometime's when i need to as awkard as it is :/
I definitely have a lot of social awkwardness that is linked to social anxiety. It also ***** feeling like I could slip into hypomania at ~any point~ and not be able to cope with the situation. That's not actually how it works for me but fears don't need to be rational.
I agree with exactly what stormbear said.  Just the other day I had to bring a dish and help out with set up for my daughter's team dinner. I hardly said two words while I was there working with those women and this happens every time. It's easier being alone. Just know your not alone. Social anxiety makes you feel uncomfortable and alone.
I'm not sure it's necessarily the bipolar's fault, but anxiety conditions can go hand in hand with it.  I think some people get anxiety during mixed states (even ones that fall below DSM-IV-TR thresholds), and thus are sometimes not socially anxious.  I think that's what happens to me, because there are some times when I feel super bubbly or even fairly normal and will strike up conversations with complete strangers, or make phone calls that usually make me really nervous, but the anxiety comes back later.
So you guys think it is probably more of a social anxiety then? Which could be a separate thing, but can be triggered by bipolar?
The guy over at psycheducation (google it since we're not allowed to post links) has some interesting things to say on the subject.  It looks like if your anxiety is fairly constant, it's probably a separate condition requiring separate treatment.  If it seems to cycle, especially going away during happy hypomanic or manic phases, it's probably part of the bipolar.
My memory is bad right now but after I read your comment it reminded me, when I am hypomanic I talk a lot, talk to strangers and feel very social. When it's over, I'm back to being quite around people.
I am very very socially awkward. Even when I try I always say or do the wrong thig. I freak out whenever I know I am going to be in a social situation I am always afraid noone will like me and people r talkig about me. I have figured out, the best thing to do is get friends who don't care how awkward you are and also try laughing at ur own awkwardness instead of being embarrassed about it. It is who u r and if people don't like it they can leave!  I have bipolar and anxiety so it might be triggered by that.  Therapy can help that situation more than medication I believe because I have tried both.  
That is how I am too. I hope to get into therapy soon, as I have not had very much luck with medications either.
I have BP1 and I have social anxiety because I think I'm going to do something weird and draw attention to myself, so I tend to stay back in the shadows.  Which a lot of people might think is weird too,,
It effect's your life in so many way's huh ? it suck's i hate it
yes! Totally! I get like that all the time. Thats why i cant stand when all these social butterflies go around saying omg im gonna go crazy on you im bipolar!
I hate that too when people kid about something they have no idea about the h*** that you go through.