Bipolar Disorder Community
Blood Tests - eGFR

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Blood Tests - eGFR

I am bipolar and get frequent blood tests - I always get a copy of my results from my doctor.
I notice that on my last 3 kidney function tests the (calculated) eGFR levels have were 61 / 59 / 73 respectively (printout does not specify units) – intervals are about 2 months.
Related (kidney test) levels in the tests were ok.
If there is concern I believe there is a more specific urine test and that is my query.
I have noticed the same thing.  Over time my lab work is moving more and more into the danger zone in certain areas of concern.  I think that Lithium can affect you kidneys over time and that is what is happening to me (I am in the high normal range).  I am looking into alternate natural remedies to replace my as many of my drugs as possilbe.  I am working up a healing plan and I am going to present it to my psych doc during my next appointment in May and I hope to eliminate many drugs.  Drugs are man made and treat symtoms (symptoms) and are not natural, so if you are lucky they may work on the symtom but hurt other parts of your body.
Hi,  I'm very new to lithium myself and admit to not fully understanding the shorthand on blood test results.  I would advise that you discuss your concerns with your Dr though.  I would have hoped that your consultant would raise concerns if there were any - however, I am not so naive as to believe that all consultants actually read the results!
I believe this test is a calculation from other related tests done at the time in the lab for kidney function.
My doctor wasn't concerned at my last appointment.
But I want to be sure. I believe the 24 hr urine (forgot name) test is best for GFR. (the leading "e" means estimated in eGFR btw).
I like to play safe, I ask lots of questions my docs must sigh when I walk in!
I'd say keep asking the Docs the questions.  My Dr hides under the desk when I walk in, lol!
Very good point bulldozer, I always prepare a question list before I go to an appointment.
Also a useful "Change the subject" tool when His/Her questions are starting to make you feel uneasy!
I have a motto now - "Seek the truth!"