Bulimia and L-tryptophan
I recently read several research articles where taking the supplement L-tryptophan daily was linked to increased serotonin levels, which helped prevent binging. I have been bulimic for more than 13 years and within the last year and half have been actively seeking treatment for the first time. I have struggled to find a combination of prescription medications that works for me. The ones that help prevent binging also leave me feeling foggy and sedated, which does not fit with the high-pressure demands of my job. On my own, before medication, I went almost a full  year without purging. I seem to have struggled more since trying medications and have had a very severe relapse in the last several months. I was hopeful when I read that L-tryptophan might be a more "natural" way to boost serotonin levels, with less side effects. Can anyone tell me what their experience with this is, if they have tried it? Thank you!
Yep I've used it works well  to improve my mood.  Which may help if you comfort eat when depressed.  Taking Serotonin directly won't pass the brain blood barrier but 5-hydroxytryptophan will and is a precursor for Serotonin. Need to be careful when using it if Bipolar as it can trigger mania or serotonin syndrome but is very helpful otherwise.

I also binge as well, looking for other things that may help suppress my appetite. I heard chromium sometimes helps as well.
If you did better without the medications, then why are you taking them? I personally did worse on many medications in my past, particularly SSRI's because they can affect appetite and that just acts as an additional trigger.
Just don't combine it with psyc meds, or do it very slowly, because it could cause too much seritonin to be in your system and cause seritonin syndrome.