Bipolar Disorder Community
Can I take St. John's Wort when taking celexa?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

I take geodon and celexa.  My acupuncturist thinks I should also take St. John's Wort.  I take the celexa early in the morning.  He suggested I take the St. John's Wort in the afternoon.  I'm afraid that might be too much serotonin for me.  What do you think?
Yes you have the correct understanding and I'd strongly suggest you ask your psychiatrist as regards any natural remedies you could take and whether they are safe or not. Mine supervises the usages of some in me but he has done clinical research first and he made the decisions. Ultimately its better to take FDA approved medications though. But make sure any decision as regards medication is decided by your psychiatrist. You could actually get serotonin syndrome from the interaction of the two which is dangerous so please take care as regards this.
I thought I could develop serotonin syndrome too.   Thanks for getting back to me.  I've had almost no one answering my posts.  Is it something I said?
No please don't think that. I am homebound from my physical disability so I tend to be online 24/7. Other people have outside lives and family and friends and don't log on all the time. As soon as I get some physical recovery I intend to change that as well but I have to move at the rate as treatment adjusts. Don't think you alone in the world but its best to find an in person support group. NAMI friend and family support groups can be good and there are other support groups as well. Any support group is good as long as it has cogent goals and is not anti-treatment.