Bipolar Disorder Community
Can bi-polar "go away"?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Can bi-polar "go away"?

I am 52 years old.  12 years ago, I was diagnosed as bi-polar II.  In thinking back over my life, I can see that I started suffering from depression as a teenager, when I made a suicide attempt at age 14.  I have long contended with my doctors that there was a strong hormonal component to my depression and now that I am in menopause (and had a hysterectomy 2 years ago), I am taking minimal medication and feeling the best I have for years.  I stopped seeing my therapist about 8 months ago, am gainfully employed (make over $70K/year), and basically don't feel at all depressed.  Is it possible to not be bi-polar anymore?  Everything I've read and all the doctors I have asked say it is a life-time diagnosis.  What is your opinion?
No you are bi polar for life. If you sop taking your meds you will go back to being bi polar .I know because I have done this 3 different times.I now take my meds and go to therapy faithfully even though I suspect I really dont need to go to therapy but I jsut love my therapist .
I too am a successful bi polar story.I have been married 22 years,I have a great job and my family is jsut great.I enjoy my life so much .I know this wouldnt be possible with out my meds.
  so stay on you meds and enjoy you life. what is taking some littlke pills compared to how we feel.
Love Venora
No, like V said bipolar is for life.  However hormones are not.  You could also have had hormone imbalances that were what the medical profession considered still in range no matter how high in the range they might have been.  And most drs won't treat on symptoms if the "numbers" are in "range".  So not having the hormones may make a big difference in the way you feel.  

I am NOT a dr, I just play one on. . . .kidding. ;)  I'm not a dr that's just m 1/2 a cent worth.

Dac
I find this topic extremely interesting and pertinent. In my own personal experience, I am noticing that there driving factors that can manage bi-polar without the use of medication AND there are also behaviour that mirror the symptoms of bi-polar but are not indicative of the illness being present.

For instance,

1) I notice that my symptoms are made worse by certain foods - especially WHEAT/GLUTEN, DAIRY and certain SUGARS. In the absence of them, I am much clearer and happier and most symptoms are not present. So, please do a thorough examination of possible intolerances and allergies that your body may have whether to foods or people; AND

2) Much of the bi-polar symptoms DISSOLVE or RECEDE once I adhered to a strict protocol known as the Pfeifer Protocol. It is important to get your urine tested to determine if you have excessive kryptopyrroles in them, which could indicate the presence of PYROLURIA together with UNDERMETHYLATION OR OVERMETHYLATION. There could be a genetic impact that results in the body dumping and discharging large amounts of B6 and ZINC, therein causing the bi-polar tendencies due to high COPPER LEVELS and/or HIGH HISTAMINES... it also impacts on allergies too...

3) IF POSSIBLE, SEE AN EXCEPTIONAL KINESIOLOGIST. ONE WHO IS WELL-VERSED IN NAET, NET, NOT, TFH-PKP, EFT, TAT and many other healing streams that can enable you to properly investigate HEALING AND TREATING THE CAUSE!!!!!!
Unless you didnt have it in the first place?

I would say you are very lucky you can take a minimal amount !
Bipolar or manic depression is a mental disorder and is incurable. Medications can manage symptoms and you may have periods of remission. I lived very stable life and maintained a job/marriage for 7 years but the symptoms eventually returned full force.
I was diagnosed in my late 30,s and started medication and have found that I am actually deteriorating. This is apparently not uncommon when treatment starts late. My symptoms started at 15, Enjoy your life and feeling good, dont worry about the label "bipolar' just relate to physicians when symptoms interfere with daily life.

My questions are:
How did you come to realize that these foods affected you?
Also what have you replaced those foods with?
Which sugars were the worst?
Is it possible to balance bipolar illness by changing the diet without the use of medication?
And lastly what do you mean by: or people?
Just so you don't waste your time, you are replying to a post that is from last year, so you probably aren't going to get a reply on this one. The teaser posts in the middle are often quite old.

I will give my two bits on the "is it possible to balance bipolar illness by changing the diet without the use of medication"

That depends on how severe the bipolar is. If you have a mild case of bipolar 2, then it may be possible along with therapy to identify and manage triggers. I do know some people who go at it without meds. However the suicide rate of people not using medication is almost double so there is a risk.

If it is has caused you to be disabled in the past, if you've had a suicidal depression, or an episode of mania, I would not be discontinuing meds to try a diet route. I have not seen one, not one, study that has proven that a diet has a postive effect on the outcome of bipolar disorder. It may be because they just haven't studied it, but none of the claims have been proven they are all based on ancedotal evidence. There is a placebo effect of 30% with any treatment someone gets. So 30% of the people are bound to see an improvement at least temporarily, so they will have 'success' stories to draw from. It doesn't mean that the thing works, it just means that doing something, anything, can trick the body into healing itself.

I have seen research evidence of certain natural things helping. Omega oils have been shown in some studies to help. I take them because of that and because they are just an overal great nutrient for the body. They reduce inflamation (inflammation) systemically. Magnisium has a study showing it to be helpful. I don't take it because I have kidney disease and it contraindiates for that. Another one is something called N Acetyl Cysteine (sometime they add an "L" before the Cysteine.) at 2 gram a day. On this study they kept people on their psyc meds, and used it as an adjunct, it helped with the depressive end but not the manic end. I just started taking it (after checking with the pharmacist to ensure it wouldn't affect my meds)Aruyvedic (think I spelt that wrong - East Indian Medicine) and Chinese medicines you need to be careful of as they often contain a lot of lead or other heavy metals. The other  non medicinal thing is meditation. - more for stress and anxiety versus bipolar. Haven't seen a study for bipolar.

It may be worth trying diet to see if you can minimize the meds you take, but I wouldn't go off them altogether. And never go cold turkey, always taper off slowly with the knowledge of a psychiatist.
Thank you. I will give it a go and see if it helps at all. And of course keep track of my results.