Bipolar Disorder Community
Can symptoms ever be managed well enough for them to go away at times?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Specifically, the slowed-down thoughts. My thought process is extremely slow, and I have difficulty putting sentences together at a reasonable speed. I take a very long time to understand concepts that would have been picked up immediately in the time before the symptoms of bipolar started appearing. It scares me.

I'm on lamotrigine at the moment, as well as Wellbutrin and Seroquel. I've started to become more stable, but I'm afraid that this will be as good as it gets. When properly managed, would these symptoms completely die down for some periods of time? Is it possible for me to ever get my mind back to the way it was before? Or will I always have to put up with at least some degree of this?

Thank you,
Monica

A lot depends on how long ago your episode was. If you are just starting to become stable it may take some time to get your brain power back. As well seroquel can slow down your thoughts so some of this may be med related and that should get better as your body gets used to the drug.

For me it was a slow healing process. I would say it took me a year and a half to get back up to where I could trust my brain to do what it needed to. My mind is sharp now, but I do get overwhelmed a lot easier.

Tanya
I am on Ciprilex, traodone and lamotrigine.

When I was on Seroquel I felt like that too.
There are many different meds for you to try, dont give up, you may find a better fit with less side effects.
Thank you very much for your help :)