Bipolar Disorder Community
Chantix

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Chantix

I took Chantix for 7 days back in October which spurred on a manic episode.  I couldn't belive it and stopped taking the chantix immediately.  I have been suffering ever since.   I get about 2 hours of sleep a night and clean and sort the rest of the time. I have finally been put on Abilify and it is finally starting to help.  I am a little discouraged because I have not found it necessary to take a psch med since 05 with no problems.  I belive there should be a warning in the patient section of this medication warning those with bipolar disorder that it could spur an episode.  Any other suggestions as to how to get to feeling nornal again.  Racing thoughts are driving me crazy and the spending sprees have about got me broke.  Can't work, concentrate and bearly function.
Tags: meds, Bipolar
Wasn't there an actress that had a manic episode from taking a drug in the ER?  There was a big fluff about it.  Unlike you, though, the potential bipolar condition just went away *poof* when she detoxed from the offending drug.   What does your psychiatrist say?  Perhaps the daddy of anti-manic drugs - depakote - is worth a shot.
I had never been diagnosed with any mental illness until after my last attempt at quitting using chantix (feb 2008 sucessful x's 6 months, Fall of 2009-GI side effects and feb 2010).  I took chantix for 10 days flew into a rage destroyed my kitchen and said terrible things to my family.  I would have killed (or seriously maimed) my spouse that night if I had had access to a knife. I was manic for about 6 days with major changes in my moods then I dropped into the land of numbness (alive physically but dead emotionally) on March 7th I was going to commit suicide by taking a bottle of pills. Fortunately, a friend came to my home in time to save me.  I have battled the mental side effects despite not having taken chantix since March 3rd.  Now I  carry the diagnosis of bipolar 1 and PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) I take approximately 20 pills per day to be "normal" whatever that is.  I feel like chantix has taken a part of my life that I may never get back.  Sure I hope to one day be my old self but I am losing faith that I will ever be the same.  Anyone else have similar issues?