Bipolar Disorder Community
Close Relative Stop Taking Meds

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Close Relative Stop Taking Meds

My family and I are at wits end! How can we get our 'loved one' who is in complete denial of his BD to continue taking his meds?  He says he doesn't need them anymore and is cured.  Although he is doing 99.99% better, we know the reality is that he needs to continue his treatment for possibly a lifetime.  How do we convince him to keep taking his meds and continue his monthly counseling?  
Best to encourage him to go to a mood disorders support group so other people with the same issues can encourage him to stay in treatment. A person can't be required to take medication unless they require hospitalization because they are dangerous to themselves or others but sadly the end result of stopping medication can be that. It happenned to me years before my current recovery and I always advise everyone to stay on medication. I did realize I needed it though but lack of self awareness of having a psychiatric disability can be an aspect of it. I just tend to encourage people to put it in a supportive such as it will be helpful with his recovery because it will.