Bipolar Disorder Community
Clozapine

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Clozapine

I just finished my second week of Clozapine.  My WBC and ANC dropped too low, so now it's 2 lab draws/week.  My mood isn't stabilized yet, and I don't like the side effects.  I just would like feedback from others who have been on Clozapine long term.  How are you doing?  Is your mood stable most of the time?  What kind of side effects do you experience?  Any other helpful tips.  Thanks.
   Yes I was on Clozaril for 2 years (I started it in the partial day hospital Clozaril clinic) and I know that it took an extended time to build up to a working dose and the side effects were the most severe at the beginning and improved over time. I also know as a person with schizoaffective disorder it was the only antipsychotic I ever took that didn't require a mood stabilizer with it although each person responds differently to each medication. Best to discuss what is happening with your psychiatrist and unless they note specific side effects that make it unsafe to continue with (the white blood cell count has to be within a certain range) it will take some time for it to work and then you can see from there. I do know it took some time to stabilize on as well as for the side effect profile which can be quite severe at first to improve.
Thanks.  I'm still on 2x/week labs.  Looking forward to 1x/week.  I have only one "good" vein for drawing blood, and would like a PICC or MediPort. Does that sound reasonable?  My mood today has cyled from mildly depressed, irritable, very manic; 1st cycling in a couple of weeks.  I assured my psychiatrist I'd give this some time; I'll see her Monday.