Bipolar Disorder Community
Compulsive Lying, relation to bi-polar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Compulsive Lying, relation to bi-polar?

I know someone who suffers with bi-polar disorder. She lies about every aspect of her life. She has almost gotten caught by me a couple times. Now she is one a real roll with a particular lie about her life that is infringing on my time. I'm curious, can this be part of bi-polar disorder or is compulsive lying something totally seperate? This is the second person I have known with bi-polar who lied like this and actually believed it was real. I'm so tired of this facade I don't know what to do other than to tell her I know you are lying now leave me alone.
What do I do?
I am going to be frank here. If you do not like her behavior walk away. It always falls on ourselves to be responsible for our enviroment. Do all bipoalr people lie, no more than anyone else.

Secondly, how do you know she is bipolar? Bipolar is seemingly over diagnosed these days. Some of us really do suffer, and things like this make it harder for us. Think of the sterotypes and look at the media. I mean if someone acts poorly in public, they cope the "I am bipolar" or a family member says they are and they are off their meds like the MARTA youtube incident.
I agree with Barribjon,lying isn't characteristic of a bipolar trait. We do have troubles with emotions ect but lying is a choice. It's true though that bipolar people often take the rap for everything. I find no matter who is wrong it seems other people will conviently blame the bipolar person for their actions because we have the diagnosis. I've seen people do things or get angry, be unreasonable and in the end turn it around and say it was me because after all "She IS bipolar". I hate that! I know when I'm wrong and it has nothing to do with Bipolar. People will use your diagnosis to get out of their behaviors. As for your friend if she's lying and it's affecting you then you might want to consider how important the friendship is to you.
NO, being  biploar does not make you a compulsive lyer. It is a seperate illness. You need to to just be up front and come out with it. We can't do it for you. You need to confront your friend and firmly explain you know she is telling you a story and your not going to listen to it anymore. Be very frank and to the point. But it doesn't have anything to do with being bipolar unless she's really unmedicated and lost all touch with reality, then she may have another illness altogether. I think compulsive lying is an illness but I'm not sure.
Good Luck
My husband was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago that I know of. He has been a compulsive liar since the day I meet him. He cant tell anyone the truth. He makes up lies about everything. I have caught him over and over and when I bring this up to him he turns it around on me and wont admit to his wrong. He refuses to take his medication. He see a counselor, but everything he tells his counselor is a lie. He has excessive mood swings. I am in the position that if I dont back up the lies he tells to everyone then I am the bad wife.
I am in the same situation. He lies to everybody counselors, doctor friends

everybody and he believes it. I am the bad wife. Excessive mood swings.

I don't know what to do