Bipolar Disorder Community
Confused

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Confused

I'm bipolar and I'm on Depakote 500 and my dr wants me to increase my dose to 1000, but I'm scared I'm gonna gain more weight, or have other problems. Even though I think I need it do I take the risk?
Hi, I was on Depokote, gained a lot of weight and loss half of my hair. Now I realize everyone is different but...I said enough is enough. I was put on something else, another mood stabilizer. There are so many diff drugs to choose from for bipolar to help a person. If the amount of medicine you are taking needs to be increased in order to work, I would think about another alternative, if you are in a place in your mind right now to make that decision. Other choice is to give it a try and see how it goes. Keep us updated if you can. Hope this helps, Crystal
I also wanted to say, that seems like a big jump in dosages. Is a little bit of an increase not an option?