Bipolar Disorder Community
Could I be Bipolar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Could I be Bipolar?

I am not sure if I could have Bipolar or not. I would like to think I don't but my friends and family even my boyfriend doesn't understand me. One minute I really love my boyfriend, family and friends the next I feel like fleeing. For no reason at all that I can explain I get grumpy. And moments later it goes away. I have thought and attempted suicide several times. Not often in my life have I just yelled at some one for no reason but it has happened. Most of the time I feel blank inside. Some times I think so much my head spins and I always fear the worst. I would rather push people out of my life then dissapoint them. I have tried at times doing that and moments later I feel like I made a big mistake and try to fix it. Some times I have a hard time sleeping. I will sleep most of the next day away with no problem because I did get a good restful night of sleep. Could I have Bipolar or am I just really stressed all the time.
Yes that kind of rapid cycling could easily be bipolar but only a psychiatrist could provide a diagnosis but it would be worth speaking to one.
As the former post said, only a professional can diagnose it, but from experience it sounds like you could. I was diagnosed as being bipolar as over a year ago and had a lot of those similar feelings. I would always have an anxious or on edge feeling, and could be happy with somebody but would feel like running away and "starting over" for some reason thinking I would feel better. I would also do really stupid things, go on drug and alcohol binges and hurt the people I loved during my "manic" phases and during my depressive phases I would sit around and feel guilty and wonder why I did those things and swear I would never do them again, just wishing to die. Sometimes I couldn't even understand why I did! Now that I've been on medication and talked with a psychiatrist, and got support I'm a completely different person. I don't even use drugs anymore and barely ever drink, except once in a great while but I don't abuse it like before. The best thing I can suggest is going to see a professional because if not you'll just keep going through that pain and theres no sense in making yourself go through that because you can get help. Good luck!
OMG this is EXACTLY how I feel too! It is so nice to know I am not alone! I've tried to explain this to ppl and nobody can relate to me. You can read my story in my post I have up about meds. I have no diagnosis, but its been mentioned to me that I probably am. My doctors have said this to me but I always blew it off and figured it was my ADD and PMS or something.
I'm going to be the third person just for the hell of it to say only a psychiatrist can diagnose you with Bipolar Disorder.
Dear kee223
You sound really young, do yourself and everyone who cares about you a favor and go to a Doctor for help.
IF I had known what was wrong with me when I was young, I could have spared alot of people including myself alot of pain.
As you get older, the disease gets worse, which it did in my case.
By the age of of 30, if you still haven't gotten help, you will wake up is Psych wondering what the hell you are doing there.
So, what if you are bipolar?
Aren't there worse things you could have?

Diseased thyroid can make people feel exactly like this. Many people have been treated for mental illnesses when  a simple blood test would have showed it is a physiological problem. Not saying it is, just something to be considered.

Get your dr to check your thyroid levels. Ask for a copy of the results. The new levels for the TSH are 0.3-3.0.

Good luck!
peggy is correct. I had alot of crazy symptoms that I couldn't figure out what they were pointing to. I had my thyroid checked and turns out I'm hypothyroid. Although I am being treated for that now, I still have my symptoms of bipolar which has gotten so much worse over the years.
So I guess I'll say it too, to be diagnosed with bipolar you really, really need to make an appointment with a psychiatrist. They will be able to help you! This forum is a great place for support for people with bipolar but no one knows who you are and can't diagnose you over the computer.

As for the Thyroid conversation every psychiatrist I've seen has had me go and have mine tested before they put me on meds for BP. Also your doctor will tell you what the level of your thyroid is and if its a good level or not, and treat you appropriately.

Make an appointment and good luck.