Curious
It seems like Bi Polar and sleep issues like insomnia go hand in hand.  But, I've also noticed that a lot of people with Bi Polar also have Sleep Apnea.  I'm wondering if the chicken came before the egg and so forth.  
I just read Dr. Parks article on Breathing Issues associated with Insomnia and I'm wondering if
Breathing Issues leads to Sleep Issues leads to chemical imbalances such as BP.

I may be way off but I can't help but wonder.  

Is this a possibility or legitamate question docs???
For a long time, scientists (and patients) have suspected that there's a connection between bipolar disorder and insomnia, and there may in fact be a real link in terms of the genetics of the brain's internal 'clock':

http://www.bipolarcentral.com/articles/articles-462-1-A-Gene-Linked-To-Our-Internal-Clock-May-Affect-Bipolar-Disorder.html
That is really interesting because I was doing fine until I had a head injury and then my sleep habits changed drastically.  The rehab I went to kept telling me my circadian rhythms were messed up.  I'll tell ya...it's been 12 years and they have been messed up ever since. :(  I even take a sleep aid but no luck.  I'm still awake odd hours no matter how hard I try to go to bed early. Something to talk to my doc about!
Anyhow, thanks for the link. Maybe doctors/scientists will be able to do more for patients with this info.