Bipolar Disorder Community
Curious

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Curious

It seems like Bi Polar and sleep issues like insomnia go hand in hand.  But, I've also noticed that a lot of people with Bi Polar also have Sleep Apnea.  I'm wondering if the chicken came before the egg and so forth.  
I just read Dr. Parks article on Breathing Issues associated with Insomnia and I'm wondering if
Breathing Issues leads to Sleep Issues leads to chemical imbalances such as BP.

I may be way off but I can't help but wonder.  

Is this a possibility or legitamate question docs???
For a long time, scientists (and patients) have suspected that there's a connection between bipolar disorder and insomnia, and there may in fact be a real link in terms of the genetics of the brain's internal 'clock':

http://www.bipolarcentral.com/articles/articles-462-1-A-Gene-Linked-To-Our-Internal-Clock-May-Affect-Bipolar-Disorder.html

That is really interesting because I was doing fine until I had a head injury and then my sleep habits changed drastically.  The rehab I went to kept telling me my circadian rhythms were messed up.  I'll tell ya...it's been 12 years and they have been messed up ever since. :(  I even take a sleep aid but no luck.  I'm still awake odd hours no matter how hard I try to go to bed early. Something to talk to my doc about!
Anyhow, thanks for the link. Maybe doctors/scientists will be able to do more for patients with this info.