Bipolar Disorder Community
Dementia vs. Alzheimers

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Dementia vs. Alzheimers

So what's a good definition of dementia vs. memory loss possibly due to early onset alzheimers?  the oddest thing has just happened to me...someone was talking about a car i bought a few years ago (about 7), what I liked and disliked about it etc.  The problem is, i have absolutely no memory of that event - none.  i don't recall any such car or anything associated to it.  I've never had this happen and up until now believed i had a perfect memory.  the episode has me worried.
It's hard to say because I think Alzheimers is a type of dementia instead of something different, but I'm not sure. I know some of the symptoms are not just forgetting things but forgetting words. Like you want to say spoon, but you can't remember so you say small shovel for eating. I guess it gets hard to understand what people with Alzheimers are talking about. Also it gets hard to do everyday activities that are normally easy, you start struggling with numbers and can't balance a check book. There are places that list the top 10 signs of Alzheimers. I know it can start early in some people.

I have whole chunks of memory that are missing. For example, I took a math class in 8th grade and I couldn't remember a thing about it only days after school ended. >.> That's one example I remember. I can't remember any others right now. LOL. >.< The mind is a funny thing.