Bipolar Disorder Community
Depakote and Hair Loss

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Depakote and Hair Loss

I was put on Depakote Er 500mg 3 at bedtime about 4 months ago. During my time on it, I did not realize it had done me any good. However, I had to switch Dr.s and because of the waiting time between Dr.s I had to wean myself off of the Depakote. It was then I noticed that it must have been doing me some good as when I came off of them (and I came off of Depakote very very slowly) I noticed the mood swings, major depression epeisodes et.
So when I visited the new Dr. She wrote me a prescription for the Depakote, which now has a generic. Unfortunately the generic Depakote is not like the Er in the fact that I must take it 3 x per day instead of all at once at bedtime. Now I have noticed major hair loss!!! I didn't notice any hair loss before on the Depakote ER but I sure do now! To make matters worse, I already have herriditary hair loss and my hair was already way too thin on top.
Has anyone here ever experianced this, and if so, does anyone know if there is some drug you can take along with the Depakote to stop this hair loss???
I have tried almost everything out there except for Lithium which I really do not want to try. I would prefer to stay on the Depakote provided there is some way around this hair loss.
Thank you for any input you can give me:)
Hair loss can be an unfortunate side effect of depakote, would your new Dr consider putting you back on the same one you were on previously perhaps?  I would certainly discuss this with your Dr as it must be very distressing and will not be helping with your general mental health.

Good luck, :-)
when i began depakote 13 yrs ago, no one knew about the hair loss.  i thought i was losing my mind and not just my hair.  anyway, my hair did fall out on the regular depakote.  but it grew back CURLY! this is also a side effect from the medication.  unfortunately i gained a massive amount of weight while "down" after my manic episode and because of carbohydrate cravings.  i was switched to Depakote ER when it became available and my weight stablized (though i haven't lost any weight) but, my hair is wonderful and thick, and i receive compliments.  your MD should switch you to the non-generic, as ER doesn't come in generic form.  this is expensive though.  if you can't afford the ER then remember the hair loss will stop.  though losing my hair was devastating.  good luck!
I was taking Depakote ER for quite a while and experienced weight gain and hair loss.
It did help with my migraines . . .
The hair loss was a big concern - every time I washed my hair there was so much in the shower drain!  In fact, I had complained to my husband about this, but he didn't really understand until I cleaned the drain with a tissue and showed him all the hair.  He was shocked.
Recently, I went off Depakote ER - dropped quite a bit of weight and I am not experiencing the hair loss like I was.  (I am on Oxcarbazephine now . . . )
Always talk to your doctor.  Do not make any changes by yourself.  I learned the hard way recently, but that is another story.
Good luck to you.
if u come off depakote do u loose the weight that you have put on???