Depakote and alcohol
How dangerous is it really drinking alcohol and depakote.  I take 500 mil a day
VERY dangerous.  It is dangerous period for bipolars to drink in the first place.  Our meds change and balance our bio-chemistry to balance our brains to a normal functioning brain.  If you drink you will counteract what your medications are there to do.  Stick with non-alcoholic beverages.  Drinking and taking Depakote or any bipolar med cancels out the medication so taking it is pointless if you are gonna drink.  Trust me, I learned the hard way and ended up in a mental facility for trying to kill myself when I was drinking during the holidays on Lithium not knowing it was bad for me and my condition.  I stopped all drinking when I got home from the hospital and am much more stable now w/o using alcohol!  Take care.
Oh, come on!  You KNOW it is bad to mix alcohol with any medicines, especially bp meds.  Are you looking for someone here to justify your drinking?
You (and all of us here) have enough problems managing our bp symptoms.  Do not add alcohol to the mix or you will only create more serious problems for yourself.
Best of luck to you.
Take care of yourself.  Drink club soda, fruit juice, water -- chew gum -- keep hard candy or a lollipop handy -- anything except the "sauce".
Ruby
Namaste,

As you can tell the concesus is that drinking alcohol while taking Dapakote is a bad idea and I'm going to agree with them.

When I was first prescribed Depakote, I thought I could continue my drinking without a problem, but ended up in the ER because of a bad interaction.

Enough said.

Michael