Bipolar Disorder Community
Depression versus bipolar depression

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Depression versus bipolar depression

I have read that one difference between general depression and bipolar depression is a persons energy level. It's a matter of feeling unable to perform even the simplest daily tasks because of overwhelming fatigue, instead of the general depressive sadness, hopelessness, ambivalence, etc. Does that make sense to anyone?

Another difference is the depth of depression. The suicide rate for bipolar disorder is considerably higher than general depression rates. I'm not sure by how much and I'm no expert, just remembering a few things I've read.

For me, these symptoms mean that having a strong support system is absolutely key. We can get through bipolar living on our own and in one piece... but it ain't always pretty. When managing emotions is a constant struggle, no wonder the rest of our lives can feel so impossible.

Thanks to my forum friends who help make my days easier.

PS- I'm off to my favorite vacation destination... my bed!!
I first had a diagnosis of depression. At 24 I was rediagnosed w bipolar. My new therapist had picked up on my mania. And the horrible aftermath and guilt that hit after being 'high'.  
When I look back at the past 10 years of my life, I see a woman who has repeatedly made major life changes to feel in control since my emotions were so erratic. Marriages, divorces, multiple homes, damaging relationships, multiple jobs, and many many new and lost friendships along the way. These were during my hypomanic phases also McKee. It just is sad that so much has to happen in order to catch someone's attention.

How have things been the last few days? Any better or just scraping by? Any more thoughts on how you are going to proceed next? Wouldn't it be perfect if vacationing at the beach, with a butler, a block of chocolate, and a babysitter were the recommended treatment for us?

That sounds like a great treatment. When you find the facility let me know!! Today was okay in the morning/afternoon. It was 70 here in Texas so I hit the garden. My favorite place. All 8 months pregnant and on my hands and knees. Then I napped till my boys  got home from school. I woke up from said nap in a horrible mood!! Im blaming being preggo on this one. Just uncomfortable and pissy. I'm almost 34 weeks and just want my body back! I'm HUGE!  Not sure how to proceed next... It's a daily battle. I actually like my manic days. I feel accomplished. It's just when I come down, its like I was high, I look at what I did do. Nothing! Bills went unpaid kids didn't get much of my attention and Iam so all over the place it makes me feel so guilty like I missed out on so much in just a few days/ weeks.
You might be right about the depressed bipolar could have more energy than the depressed unipolar. I'd also add that the depressed bipolar would also have more of a chance of being aggitated, labile, even rageful. I haven't had a "true" depression for a couple of decades. My depressions are really more mixed states, which from my POV are worse than simple depression. At least with the latter you can find some refuge in sleep.