Bipolar Disorder Community
Do Bipolar People Get Mania Without Sleep Disruption?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

So Im trying to find out if Im bipolar or just a natural short sleeper but Im usually foggy and depressed and never enter mania. I do get hypomania but only without sleep. Last week I averaged 3 to 5 hours sleep every night and felt best in years. However I had no delusions. Sunday I had nothing to do so went to bed and slept the whole day though it wasnt cause I was crashing from overtired. Now past days I am back to miserable sleeping 8 hours past few nights.

So Im wondering if I truly am just a natural short sleeper or bipolar even though I never get mania as for two years I havent had a manic episode. Can anyone relate? Thanks.
  • Bipolar (3 replies):
    I am bipolar and i sleep alot is this normal? I was tol...[more]
  • BiPolar 2 (5 replies):
    can anyone explain the symptoms of bipolar 2 . to me ple...[more]
  • bipolar I and II (1 replies):
    what is the difference between bipolar I and II
  • Bipolar Type2 (18 replies):
    Ive been getting treatment and Ive been doing great unti...[more]
  • Which comes first? (5 replies):
    which comes first: bipolar diagnosis then psychosis or t...[more]
Firstly, you can be bipolar without ever being manic, it's called Bipolar II, my mother has it and I probably do too.  
Secondly, you don't need delusions to be hypomanic, you don't need anything psychotic at all to be hypomanic because it's a mood thing rather than a psychosis thing (although of course those things can feature).  
So if you normally don't need much sleep but sometimes get depressed, then I reckon you're just a natural short sleeper who gets depressed from time to time.  I'm leaning towards that also because 8 hours really isn't very long at all, it's quite normal, when I get hypersomnia in my depressive episodes I sleep at least 13 hours a night.  But if you only get these times when you sleep 3 hours a night as an abnormal occurrence with a bunch of other hypomanic symptoms, then that would count as hypomania - plus depressive episodes and that makes you Bipolar II.  Voila.  
But then of course you could only be a very mild version of Bipolar II, which would be good.  Or even better, something even milder, which is Cyclothymia, a toned-down version of bipolar - people with that often don't even need to be medicated, which is great.  I wish I didn't need to take a pharmacy of pills every night, lolz.  :)
Good luck!  
You see the whole problem is I want that feeling all the time. If Im a natural short sleeper then I want to be getting only five hours sleep a night to get that.  Im always depressed and have cloudy thoughts with negative ones that spiral to shame. The more I sleep the shittier I feel.

The times I did go manic years ago I forced myself to stay up the whole night but it lasted only two nights before crashing. Last week it lasted six days (before sleeping) and my mind was so clear that when I had a negative thought I could see it had no merit. Socializing was so easy and Im wondering if this is what normal people are thinking. Id hate it to be bipolar and just a phase as Id rather make it permanent.
I'd get your melatonin levels tested if I were you.  I found I had a really hard time getting to sleep and it was a combination of not producing much melatonin (which naturally makes you sleepy) and having to much cortisol in my body in the evening from stress.