Bipolar Disorder Community
Do you think my child has bipolar disorder?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

I have a 7 year old son who is having eposodes of violent behavior. If something happens that he is not okay with he freaks out going into a violent rage. He will hit, throw things, and scream that he hates everyone and wishes we would all die. I have taken him to a therapist he has been on medication and it seems to be getting worst. This happens at school at least every other day. I just want him to have a normal life and not hurt himself or anyone else. Do you think that it is just anxiety or do you think that he could be bi-polar?
Speak to who is prescribing the medication and let them know things have worsened. Some medications that work to treat ADHD such as Ritalin can at times cause mood elevation or psychosis (although they are helpful treatments) so if things are worsening a psychiatrist needs to be informed. This can happen with some other medications as well. Read the medication website or prescription label and discuss it with the psychiatrist. Then they can within their specific clinical knowledge decide whether his medications should be adjusted and/or changed. Obviously violence is generally not part of anxiety disorder and aggressive behavior can be part of some of the mood changes in bipolar (although not always) but there are a whole set of other mood changes and behavior changes that are part of bipolar as well. They need to find out what the appropriate treatment is for him and also fully understand his diagnosis and as well talk therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy can be helpful as well.
i think he could have both my god son has that too but on top of that hes autistic and they put him on another type of diet such as no wheat products what so ever any thing with glucose...... so maybe u can ask about that good luck :D
It sounds like it could be bipolar.  I would get him diagnosed right away.  If he doesn't,
I would also try looking into food allergies.  The wrong foods can have some people go into a violent rage.  Some people can get violent eating a banana or even sugar. If he doesn't have food allergies he may have food intolerances.  Red dye in foods can cause bad behavior in kids.
Like ILADVOCATE said, some medications can cause opposite reactions, so ask your doctor for a different medicine.
Do you normally discipline him when he screws up? He could just be acting out.
Bipolar is exceedingly rare in children
I have BP and my son was diagnosed with ADHD he is 9 .sometimes we almost have the same behaviour except my son has not got any signs of mania.
The signs could be for Bi-polar or ADHD,Is your son on anti depressents? If so all meds affect people differently and some can cause or emphisize voilent behaviour,get a second opinion from another doctor or a pych .Earlier this year my son got very depressed and i asked my doctor if i should put him on medication, my doctor told me that anti depressents for children will often make them worse and has a high suicide rate ( according to medicial study's ).So please get that second opinion and go from there.
Just so you know, bipolar in children is NOT RARE . . . it's just gone undiagnosed for too many years!!!  My Daughter was diagnosed at 7 with childhood bipolar and when they ar emedicated properly (not with ADHD medication, that is a problem) life gets better.  My daughter is just gaining weight like crazy right now, so we are having the violent outbursts again because of her weigh change. I'm sure once my daughter's meds are fixed she'll be better again.  Sounds like its a possibility, however does he have depression and mania?  That is bipolar disorder?  My daughter threatens to kill us everyday!!!  But, again,. when we get her meds under control shes GREAT!!!  I wish you luck, get a good dr. that believes in these childhood diseases
Bipolar disorder is probably not exactly rare in children, but it IS rather rarely diagnosed.  Our son, now in his 30s, became a different person at the age of 2 1/2.  He was the highly articulate toddler who could continue a raging argument for three hours, repeatedly coming out of time-outs in his room for that long.  At that point in the history of diagnosis of this condition, bipolarity was thought impossible in young children, but here was this little guy demonstrating classic 'pressured speech.'

I don't know if medhelp will let me link it, but there was a very nice article last week in the LA Times about childhood bipolar disorder, and it turns out that fMRI brain scans show a characteristic difference when 'distressed' faces are shown to people with and without bipolar disorder:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-bipolar-family-20101011,0,89588.story?page=1&track=rss

It would not be a food allergy to cause going into a violent rage. I have bi-polar myself and when I go into a manic episode this will happen. Fromm what I have read, yes, bi-polar is definitely a good diagnosis. It would be best to get the child in for an assessment to determine now if he has it. Plus, it can take years to get it somewhat controlled with medication. Medication does not keep all the episodes completely controlled either.