Bipolar Disorder Community
Does Ativan help anyone here?
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Does Ativan help anyone here?

My question is, does ativan provide any of you relief from your bipolar disorder. When I'm depressed it just makes me more depressed and so I don't like to take it. But when I'm irritable, defensive, and impulsive, it helps control my reactions to these things and I don't flip out on people. My doctor prescribed it for my anxiety attacks, one .5mg pill at night before bed.  I used to take depakote but I felt way too slow on it. Can ativan be used for Bipolar Disorder too?
I notice when I take it my anxiety goes away. Sometimes my anxiety can manifest itself as hypochondriac delusions, like I'm dying of some strange disease. It also helps when I have perceptual distortions that are disturbing. I was going to talk it over with my doctor. The only thing I don't like about ativan is that it can cause withdrawal from prompt discontinuation. But I'm only taking .5mg, and I don't take it every day. Just when I feel that I need it. But I did notice that it helped me as I described above. Any thoughts?