Bipolar Disorder Community
Does Ativan help anyone here?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Does Ativan help anyone here?

My question is, does ativan provide any of you relief from your bipolar disorder. When I'm depressed it just makes me more depressed and so I don't like to take it. But when I'm irritable, defensive, and impulsive, it helps control my reactions to these things and I don't flip out on people. My doctor prescribed it for my anxiety attacks, one .5mg pill at night before bed.  I used to take depakote but I felt way too slow on it. Can ativan be used for Bipolar Disorder too?
I notice when I take it my anxiety goes away. Sometimes my anxiety can manifest itself as hypochondriac delusions, like I'm dying of some strange disease. It also helps when I have perceptual distortions that are disturbing. I was going to talk it over with my doctor. The only thing I don't like about ativan is that it can cause withdrawal from prompt discontinuation. But I'm only taking .5mg, and I don't take it every day. Just when I feel that I need it. But I did notice that it helped me as I described above. Any thoughts?
Ativan is a short acting benzo and I've found Klonopin to be of more help as it lasts all day and has less of a potential for a person to build up a tolerance to in some cases be addictive (but the prospect is still there). Ativan and Klonopin are meant for use on anxiety but they have some minor mood stabilization properties.
I'm on both Ativan and Klonopin. I take them both primarily for sleeping and anxiety. I have not really experienced any negative effects from either drug, except when I was taking Klonopin by itself. But if you're having a hard time with it, talk to your pdoc. I had to switch medications quite a few times for the same reasons.