Bipolar Disorder Community
Drowsiness and Aripiprazole(Abilify)

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Drowsiness and Aripiprazole(Abilify)

I have just started taking Aripiprazole(Abilify) and have found it to have some beneficial effects on my mood.  However I am also finding myself to be extremely drowsy.  I have heard that this side effect wears off with time.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It's the first antipsychotic I've taken that's had any effect so I don't want to stop it but the fact I can literally go to sleep while standing up is making my life difficult.

I started taking Abilify in November of last year. At first it made me soo lethargic as well. But within 2 weeks that side effect went away. Yes, it was annoying because it made me want to sleep all the time but it was worth it because now it works great on my moods! Also if the dose ever gets uped then you'll experience the side affects, but then they go away again. Hang in there!
I've been taking abilify for about 6 months now and I'm up to 20mg a day. It seems to be working but I'm not having the drowsy side effects that you speak of, but then I do take my bipolar meds at night, which seems to decrease any sleepiness I might have. Also my doctor prescribed a medication called Provigil to help counteract the drowsiness caused by my medications because I do take several and all of them may cause drowsiness. Perhaps you can research Provigil and see if that may be an option for you, I know it has helped me tremendously.  Good luck!
I have been taken abilify for a few years now and sadly my drowsiness has never gone away. However, I am going to stay on abilify as it helps with my mood and being drowsy is a lot better than being in the state of psychosis, so your drowsiness may not wear off but you may get better with coping with it. I wish you well.