Bipolar Disorder Community
Drowsy on Lithium?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Drowsy on Lithium?

I've been on lithium for a few weeks, increased the dose last week. I have noticed how it made me sleep deeper (but dreams got even worse) right from the start, but this week I feel really drowsy.... sleepy and lethargic from morning til late afternoon. (I'm on a single slow release dose at bedtime). I have two questions. 1) Am I right in thinking this is the Lithium? 2) Will it fall off with time cos I really need to get back to work and falling asleep at work wouldn't be good? Thanks.
Hi, I had the same problem with being drowsy and not being able to think straight my whole life slowed down this all happened when I first started taking Lithium and yes to your second question it does wear of as time goes on and mind gets used to the medication, I have now been on Lithium for 2 years and my dose is 1200mg along with other medication.
I hope this helps.
Cliff.
I hope this helps.
Cliff.
I had the same problem when I stated lithium, my doctor made it much less of a problem by raising my dosage very slowly.
I was on 1200mg a day but I became toxic, that or I need to go up by low increments again. Either way I'm down to 900mg a day until I get my blood levels checked.
I recently began on Lithium 600mg at night. I am still not sleeping much at night but it's only been 3 days.  I was hoping it would make me drowsy but it hasn't.  In regards to your dreams, I began having terrible dreams a couple months ago and would yell out in my sleep.  I purchased a native american dream catcher at a local store where everything is $1 and hung it over my bed. Since then the dreams have stopped.  The science  behind it is simply suggesting to your sub-conscience that the bad dreams are getting caught in the dreamcatcher.  It may sound weird but it does work.