Bipolar Disorder Community
During a manic episode ...

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

During a manic episode ...

What are you supposed to do during a manic episode?  The only information available seems to be on preventing and maintaining them.  For the last few months, I've been in a progressive manic state, but over the weekend, I thought I was doing better.  Right now I feel like all that time building up has been jammed into this one day.  I called my psychiatrist but the soonest available appointment isn't until March 11th.  Usually if I was having a panic attack, my body would basically shut itself down and I would wake up and it would be a week or two later.  Or, when dealing with anxiety I take Niravam as needed.  But at this moment, I'm having more intense feelings/delusions/etc. than I can handle.  
I'd suggest calling your psychiatrist back and telling them it can't wait. Even if they can't see you they could raise what you are on or add something else. Don't make any changes on your own. But inform them things are getting out of hand and that your medications need adjustment before they manic episodes get worse.
If you cannot handle the feelings and delusions then you need to go to hospital.  Its that simple really, you feel you were doing better but the feelings are more than you can take - this can be a sign that things are heading south faster and you should do all you need to do to get help.

If you need to talk we are here ok, you can PM one of us anytime or post in the forums.  You are not alone.
I would certainly ring back your psychiatrist and make it very clear that this is an urgent situation and that you need to speak to him/her asap.  As ILAD has said they may be able to deal with it partly over the phone with a tweak of your meds.  Also by speaking to you your psych will be able to assess you and get you in a lot faster.

If your psych won't speak to you then go to your local ER if these feelings get any more out of control.
Every single experience I've ever had with the ER or inpatient care, I ended up feeling worse - they treat you like scum to make you think you had it better in the real world and therefore should be grateful when returning.  The reality of these situations is playing the game of smile and nod, only to escape the hell that you thought was going to help.  I cannot decide whether it is a good thing that I have "faith in the system" or whether it's a bad thing that I'm so attracted to bad situations that I've been accustomed to.  I don't know anything other than feeling bad all the time ... the majority from people who are supposed to care.  Is life really better dealing with things like this?  Or ignoring it like I have been forced to?  
Listen to your own heart.  You are asking for help, so find it A.S.A.P.  If your Psychiatrist won't see you, will your Primary Care?  Possibly you PM can force a visit with the Psychiatrist.  Otherwise, please try the hospital.  But not a "regular" hospital.  Can you find a Behaviorial Health hospital in your area?  I was at a crisis point, found an amazing B.H. hospital, and because of them, I'm alive today.  No doubt about it to me!  I was out of control and the hospital was the only place that could really help.  Don't rule out a Behavioral Health Hospital, please.  They can be amazing.
Don't shop around for a hospital if you are in crisis.  Go to the ER.    Tell them you need help and don't wait.   Go to the ER and tell them who your pdoc is and have them call him/her immediately when you get there.

Today is the birthday of one of my best friends that died from suicide on 8/20/07.   I would do anything if I could have one more day to talk with him.....it's important to get help WHEN you are in crisis.  

Don't even care what the people at the ER think or how they act.    People are jerks and you don't have to value someones opinion if you don't respect them.  

Please go to the ER.  We don't need to lose one more person.

Racheal
Behavioral Health hospitals have E.R.'s also.  Ambulances go to those E.R.'s also.  

It's been 24 hours.  Hyeyung, are you feeling any better?  Have you found something that helps you?
Sorry I didn't post sooner.  I basically have no memory.  Even though I'm madly in love with post-it notes, I can put them literally everywhere and still forget things.  

As far as my mania, I just had to keep telling myself that the majority wasn't real.  I know a lot of people wouldn't deal with things like that and I hate that I feel like I'm following my parents negative, "grow up, get over it" mantra, but I'm a determined independent.  You can call me stubborn, but in the end, I am stronger.  I don't want to ever say that I'm used to these things and that I ignore them, but I've surpassed that fantasy a long time ago.  

How I deal: Document everything ASAP because I'll forget, keep Crisis numbers handy, know that if it's real bad I will go to the hospital (but that is an ABSOLUTE LAST DITCH EFFORT), and keep as much reality as I can in check.  

Obviously my coping skills may seem to be lacking, but I am who I am and I know myself well enough to do what I have to do.  If it is destructive but keeps me alive, then that's what I'll do.  Not that I'm trying to downplay people who do drugs, but at least I'm not doing that or drinking my sorrows away.  Things could be worse.  I try to remind myself of that, even if I am seriously losing it.
I think your coping skills are to be commended.  A lot of us don't possess that much of an organized approach to our illness.  

Just be careful of the quick approach to mania that we sometimes have and get help when you need it.