Bipolar Disorder Community
Feel bad and weird after coming down from a manic phase?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

I am coming down from a manic phase. I just feel really weird. I don't know if it is from the feeling of the meds bringing me down or what. I feel like happy and sad at the same time. Has anyone else felt this way, or please tell me what has been your experiance of coming down from a manic phase? I just feel confused right now.
Tags: manic phase, Bipolar
After a Manic episode I usually go into a mixed state or rapid cycling, happy one minute and sad and crying the next, my mind is usually still busy and I have mind games, I then usually hit the depression. I know there is also a mania that is like a depressive mania, it has all the symptoms of mania but has depression at the same time, I cant remember what this is called. Hopefully your new medication will help level you out, it may take some time so give yourself a break and try to relax, you are not alone although it can feel like this, everyone on here can relate and help a little, just knowing it is something that many people go through. Take Care
I think the rapid cycling is what I was having right before I went manic. I think the depressive mania you are talking about is like a mixed state...I think it is also called disphoric mania...maybe??? It does help just to be able to talk to others that can relate to these issues. I sometimes feel very alone in my struggles, and talking to others that can understand helps me to feel not so alone. I know I am trying to take it easy...I went and pampered myself a bit today and got out of the house and it helped me feel better. Everyone needs a break sometimes. :-)
This is the first time I had attempted to "come down" off a manic episode without inpatient hospitalization.  It is so much harder that I thought it would be.  After spending time with people I feel energized with feelings of playfulness and connectedness, and then I feel kind-of down and awful.  Also, the meds are strong and I hate feeling pulled down by Zyprexa and lithium.  I would encourage all to 1) take lithium or mood stabilizer so that you do not become manic and 2)go to the hospital if others are telling you you need to be there, you need to be there.  Going it alone as an outpatient is incredibly difficult and not so good.
This is an old post but I will go ahead and comment.  I do agree that inpatient care is needed most of the time when mania or chronic depression hits.  Staying on the meds is also important but more often than not it is a tendency to stop the meds completely which I do a lot.  I am back on my Seroquel now and it is really helping.