Hair loss with mania?
Has anyone experianced lots of hair falling out with a manic episode, or as a side effect of taking Risperdal?
yes it happened to me due to risperidal even though i am taking 1 mg at night for 12 years now.
Did it just happen when you first started it or have you been having problems with it the whole time you have been on it?
Ive been having manic episodes for 20 years and never lost a hair unless i pulled it out. You might watch yourself if you like to pull on your hair, most people dont realize they do it. Im sure this is not how you lose most your hair but if it already comes out easily then pulling on it probably makes things much worse.
Losing hair is also a sign of thyroid disorder ( I can't remember if it's Hyper or Hypothyroid).  Did your doc do a thyroid panel to see if it is playing a part in your condition?
It comes out mostly in the shower when washing my hair. I don't have a problem pulling my hair out although I do feel like pulling my hair out sometimes, lol.
Yes they check my thyroid regularly and have found no problems with it. I wonder if it could be a result of anxiety which I also have been having trouble with....
Hair loss can be a side effect of some psychiatric medications. When that occurs for some people taking folic acid may be of help. You could ask your psychiatrist about that as a potential option.
My pdoc today said it was not a side effect of the medications, but could be a symptom of anxiety.
I have a tiny bald patch in the back of my head... though, it is easily hidden. I asked my pdoc the same thing and he said that it may be because I am so stressed out all of the time. Another thing that could make you notice a lot of hair loss in the shower is if you dont brush your hair regularly or take showers frequently. I'm not saying that you are dirty. :)