Bipolar Disorder Community
Has anyone else tried Duromine (weight loss ) With Antidepresents

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Hi Everyone,

After 14 years fighting Bipolar and believing i am treatment resistant ( I tried everything ) I have recently tried another Antidepresent,Was working well except for extreme tiredness so my doctor put me on Duromine ( a weight loss drug ) to give me energy.Did reseach and this drug is noted mot to be used on people with mental illness however i tried it and my life is changing.I am happy,energetic and motivated.I feel like i am living for the first time in my life for years i have worked for 6 months then taken 6 months off as i start to go manic.It has been a living hell for me and my family.Now i function.
Would like to know if anyone else is taking this combo ( don't know what else to call it ) and how they have gone,concerned about long term use.
Thanks :)
I've never heard of Duromine, but I'm assuming it's a stimulant, whic is of course a psychoactive. Which ADs are you on as well?
Hi Seph,
Was on Cymbalta with the Duromine until last night when i had to go to the ER as it had built up in my system and i had a adverse reaction....love it how they call it a adverse reaction i felt like i was going to have a heart attack and my whole body felt like someone had run me over.Went back to my doctor to day and her relooked up the drugs and there was no warnings noted on his system that they could cause adverse reactions,so have now made a appointment to see a psychiatrist.As i have had so many adverse reactions over the last ten years and when a AD works well for me,i have to have the dosage take up every few weeks till it gets to the highest dose,then a few weeks later my body starts to reject it and i have worse depression and mania then when i started the meds.Just get so tired of living my life like this.I am very blessed though because i have my son who makes me what to live and be there for him .
Yes,Duromine is a weight loss tablet that has a medical speed base .