Bipolar Disorder Community
How long does withdrawal from lamictal?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

How long does withdrawal from lamictal?

I was put on lamictal for my mood swings related to a TBI. I was on lamictal for 3 months, when the leg muscle stiffness and knee pain started. It got so severe after 5 months, I demanded to be taken off of it. I was taking 25mg, even though my doctor didn't believe the problem was lamictal, he told me to stop taking it the next day. The withdrawal is living hell. I have been off it for 3 weeks and the stiffness and pain is better, but I feel like I have the flu and the diarrhea is bad. I would like to know how long the withdrawal will last? I believe I was misdiagnosed. I've come a long way since my accident and now I feel like I'm starting over. Thanks.
Withdrawing from many medications can cause flu like withdrawal symptoms. That generally should go away within a few weeks. Keep your doctor updated about it if doesn't. Lamictal can as an adverse side effect (meaning one that is clinically rare) cause extra pyramdical side effects (temporary movement disorders, that's far more common with antipsychotics). You can go to the medication website and that will be listed and you can show that to your psychiatrist and ask if that is what might have caused the muscle stiffness. Regardless if that has stopped the other side effects are more typical withdrawal symptoms and should go away without a probleem.
Thanks. I have never had withdrawal from a medication before. I thought the medication side effects were bad, but the withdrawal at times is worst. As far as keeping my psychiatrist informed, I have been and he still isn't convinced the lamictal is causing this. Needless to say I have an appt to see a new psychiatrist. He is suppose to be an expert with TBI and the problems we face. Thanks again.