Bipolar Disorder Community
How to get energy back after Seroquel

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

How to get energy back after Seroquel

I just started taking the Seroquel starter pack.  FIrst 50 mg then 100mg.  I wake up ny legs and feet hurt and are very stiff.  My back, hip and head hurt.  I took it at 9pm and it is 1pm.  I still am in a fog.  Don't even know how I have managed to take care of my 3 kids.  My house is pure mess and I can't find the energy to clean it.  Is it worth it?  Am I suppose to stick it out and it will get better.  Give me a 10mg oxycodone and I am superwoman!  How come there isn't a psycho drug I can take that will make me feel like I do when I take percocet?  Then all my problmes would be solved.  Anyway so what should I do, drink coffee?
Hey I take 350mg of seroquel daily, it takes a while for your body to get used it. However it still slows me down when i take my morning dose somedays im fine other days it just stumps me. Give it a bit of time to see if your body gets used to you will prob find that you will be ok with it. It is a very good mood stabilzer.
Hi, how long have you been on it?  I'm not a fan of seroquel, i had horrible muscle twitching when I was on it.  If after a decent period of time you are still experiencing these effects I would suggest talking to the doc, at the end of the day you need a stabilizer that still allows you to function.  I'm now trying Tegratol (carbamazepine), its early days so I can't say whether its working or not.  I've tried many - seroquel, depakote, mertazapine, citalopram, and others the names I've forgotten.

It can take a fair few attempts to find the one that suits you, we all react differently.  If its been more than a couple of weeks then go back and speak to your doc.

I didn't like Seroquel, it made me gain weight and I never felt like doing anything, it was very difficult to get modivated for me.  I was on it for 6 months, I never got used to it, the doses keep getting higher so get ready to feel more and more fatigued.
Well, I cant agree.  I LOVE my Seroquel.  But I only take it at Bedtime.  It knocks me the "you know what" OUT!  Now, if I go Psychotic and Delusional - I HAVE to take it but that's only happened once since I started my little combo of Topomax (topamax) and Seroquel.  I'm not on a very high dose of it, though.  I tend to think less is more in some instances but a lot of PDocs are all concerned about "theraputic levels".  The problem being that "theraputic levels" are all different for all people.  I am a TINY person.  I mean TINY!  I weight about a buck and a dime soakin' wet so putting me on 350 mg of Seroquel would make NO sense!  It's too much for my metabolism and body weight.  It's a matter of opinion.  I would do some research into the way your body responds to different drugs, actually.  Seems that what should make you RELAX (Percocet, Oxycotin) actually perks ya' up)  your brain chemicals need different things than mine for sure cause you give me any of those two drugs and I am a drooling idiot!  It's all about the balance of chemicals such as serotonin, dopamine and such....
Just my two cents worth...
Take Care
I was on Seroquel for 2.5 years - my highest dose was 600mg! But I eventually got down to 400mg, then 300mg, and then 200mg for about a year.  I have only ever taken it before bed because of the sedating effects. It definitely got easier the longer I took it, but I still felt groggy in the morning and early afternoon. It helped me at the time and I am grateful for that. Some doctors say that the higher doses have less sedating effects, I find that hard to believe. I think it is just because your body is getting used to it as you titrate up. I know caffeine really isn't recommended for people with bipolar disorder, but sometimes that is what got me going. Green tea in the morning helped. You might want to give it a little time and see if the sedating effects decrease. Talk to your doctor about this, they might have some ideas and solutions for you. Good Luck! ~Jen
I took seroquel for several months and the side effects never went away.  I gained 30 lbs, lost a lot of hair, woke up with sore joints, couldn't even walk when I first woke up because my feet and legs and hips were so sore.  Felt like a zombie all day long, so tired all the time.
After stopping the seroquel within a week I felt so much better.
Now on Lamictal and Lexapro and that seems to be working for me.  No more so joints, fatigue, hair grew back.