Bipolar Disorder Community
How to handle the Work World After Being Out of it For 4 Years?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

How to cope with working with others on a job after not working for 4 years? Also really being scared and failing at the job.
I find working to be difficult. I say make sure to stay on your meds, keep in close contact with your support people, and be ready for bad days because they happen. I was an at home mom/ house wife for 5 years in the early 2000s. It was hard going back after that, but at that time I was not diagnosed and no treatment.

I have held this job I'm in now for 2 years, which is the longest I've ever held a job. It is really hard for me, but I keep going and trying to hang on because my family is counting on me. If it wasn't for my family, I probably would fail. I am also afraid of failing every day. I'm not sure what to give for advice on that.
You should find out about what agency (or agencies) helps people with psychiatric disabilities return to work where you are. You could determine what you are able to do and what concerns you might have and how reasonable accomodations could be set up around them so you could be able to return to work
Oh wow.  You will be in my thoughts without a doubt.  I'm in the same boat as you I believe.

I've been fired from my last 5 jobs.  Mostly the reasoning was 'it's just not working out.'  Other reasons - my Greek mouth.  I told 2 supervisors where they could go and what they could do with the job essentially.  Bottom line - I've been struggling with feeling like the biggest failure.  I haven't worked FT for the past 5 years because of this.  And the PT job I did have, I also got canned from.

I'm going to attempt volunteering before I dive in to the workforce again.  I'm thinking something to do with the elderly.  And there are lots of places looking for volunteers - there are ads in the paper.  But I feel, as well as my tdoc, pdoc and family, that I'll gain some confidence in myself again.  And this will be 100% necessary before I even start an interview.

Maybe you can try volunteering first too?  I think it's a good idea.  Hope this helps some.